• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Sustaining our War Legacy in Eastern Victoria
Honouring Victorian veterans and marks 75 years since the end of WWII.
By Portal Admin - 26th December 2019 - Back to News
The Andrews Labor Government is doing more to honour Victorian veterans and to mark 75 years since the end of World War Two.
Three different grant streams to support veterans have just been opened for applications, including the new, one-off 75th Anniversary of the End of World War Two program.
Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing encourages local community organisations to apply, with grants of up to $30,000 available per organisation.
The $150,000 fund will support events that recognise the milestone, with communities with links to the conflicts especially encouraged to apply.
Successful projects will honour and recognise WWII veterans, tell lesser known WWII stories, identify significant sites and engage diverse communities.
Applications are also now open for the annual Victoria Remembers Minor Grant and the Restoring Community War Memorials and Avenues of Honour Grant programs.
Close to $200,000 is up for grabs under the minor grant round for projects that honour or commemorate the service and sacrifice of our veterans.
Individual grants of up to $30,000 are available for both existing funding streams, with almost $185,000 to go to projects that restore or improve existing memorials, honour rolls and avenues of honour.
For more information or to apply, visit vic.gov.au/grants-support-and-commemorate-veterans.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing
"It is important we continue to acknowledge the sacrifice and service of our veterans – they gave so that we could enjoy the freedoms we have today."
"We’re proud to open a new dedicated fund to commemorate 75 years since the end of World War Two – and I encourage community or ex-service organisations, councils and education bodies in Eastern Victoria to apply."
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Eastern Victorian Clubs Encouraged to Apply for Sporting Club Grants
Come and apply for funding to upgrade equipment, buy new uniforms, boost administration capabilities and improve training for officials.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Longwarry
Keeping the legacy of local veterans alive with funding to support the Longwarry RSL Sub-Branch Inc upgrade the Longwarry War Memorial.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Announcing Our State’s Outstanding Volunteers of the Year
2019 Victorian Volunteer Champion Award recipients in the Eastern Victorian Region.
- Eastern Victorian Schools Complete Premiers’ Reading Challenge
Congratulations to Premiers’ Reading Challenge participants who read more than 4.3 million books.
- Getting Eastern Victorian Children Ready for School and Beyond
More than 28,000 children to benefit from a $160 million School Readiness Funding initiative.
- Swinburne Bachelor of Design student Holly Barbour’s volunteering efforts spread across Victoria and span the Tasman
Swinburne design student, Holly Barbour, who is an avid volunteer in Gippsland (while working, studying and having a social life!).
- Tapping into Victorian Craft Produce in Eastern Victoria
Backing up the Eastern Victoria’s small-scale and craft producers with Small-Scale and Craft Program.
- Equipping Adult Learners in Eastern Victoria with the Skills they Need to Thrive
Ministerial Statement indicated investments targeting courses to reduce adult illiteracy and innumeracy.
- Victorian Liberal Nationals Call to Investigate Lake Buffalo Expansion
Calls to investigate Lake Buffalo in north-east Victoria on its 'no dams' policy.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Dan’s ‘No Dam’ Plan Threatening Our Future Water Security
Water Minister: no point in building dams when it’s not raining.
- Calls for Further Assistance to Support our Bushfire-Affected Farmers
Calls for assistance to communities enduring the devastation of horrific bushfires in East Gippsland and north-east Victoria.
- Backing Nurses and Doctors in Eastern Victoria to Do What They Do Best
Massive million dollar investment for nurses and doctors at Latrobe Regional Hospital.
- Kicking Goals for Women and Girls in Eastern Victoria
2019-20 Change Our Game Community Activation Grants Program now open for applications.
- New Bills Introduced into Victorian Parliament Last Week
Three new bills introduced into Parliament this week.
- Extra Mental Health Advice for Victorian Courts
Initiatives for extra support for offenders suffering a mental illness.
- Timber industry Plea: Dan, Don’t Destroy Our Jobs
Timber workers were in Melbourne to rally against the Andrews Government's senseless native timber ban and sent a clear message.
- Half Price Travel for Carers in Eastern Victoria
Half price weekday travel, free weekend travel and extra concessions from a funding boost.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- Blackouts Predicted for Victorian Summer
Greater risk of power blackouts this summer