• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
By Portal Admin - 16th December 2018 - Back to News
Visitors to the Gippsland Plains are in for a treat, with a re-elected Andrews Labor Government to invest in a scenic trail that will create jobs and boost tourism in the region.
The 63 kilometre Gippsland Plains Rail Trail extends from Traralgon to Stratford, passing through the dairy country and offering panoramic views across the region.
Over the past decade, hard working committee members and volunteers have removed ballast and carried out maintenance to make the trail a reality.
Those taking on the trail catch the train to either end and as they travel, they make their way through some of the best restaurants, wineries and shops the Gippsland region has to offer.
Realising the opportunities the trail can deliver a re-elected Labor Government will invest $1 million to make the trail bigger and better.
Funding will go towards the Cowwarr to Dawson section of the trail including the construction of the Thomson River Bridge and three kilometres of trail. It will also see the completion of the Princes Highway to Marshalls Road trail section, including the car park, track sealing, and upgrade works.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change Lily D’Ambrosio
"Dedicated volunteers have worked incredibly hard to make the Gippsland Plains Rail Trail a reality."
"Only Labor will make sure it gets finished for young and old from Victoria and afar to enjoy."
Quote attributable for Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"Labor’s investment will provide more ways for locals and visitors to experience Gippsland’s unique natural beauty and history, and create more local jobs through a stronger tourist economy."
Quote attributable to Labor Candidate for Morwell Mark Richards
"The Gippsland Rail Trail not only provides an experience of a lifetime – with fantastic food, wine and natural attractions it supports local people, and Labor’s support will take it to a whole other level."
Quote attributable to Labor Candidate for Gippsland East Mark Reeves
"This community-driven project will attract more visitors to experience the best of Gippsland, boosting jobs and the region’s economy."
Quote attributable to Labor Candidate for Gippsland South Denise Ryan
"With Labor’s support I can’t wait to see the fantastic Gippsland Plains Rail Trail grow, bringing even more people to our region."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Supporting Contract Workers with Long Service Benefits
Commencement of the Portable Long Service Benefits Scheme.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Gippsland, a Tourism Boom that Keeps Growing
New data showed 2018 as tourism industry's biggest year.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- Gippsland Line Passengers Urged to Plan Ahead During April
State-wide Autumn transport construction blitz for metropolitan lines.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- Gippsland Startup wins a trip to China
Laura Eddington from Warragul and founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps wins a two day hackathon to Nanjing, China. Find out more about this exciting development for the company.
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Startup Gippsland 2019 Culminates In Dynamic Pitch Night -Prize Winners Announced
Grand finale event of the 2019 Startup Gippsland program.
- Startup Gippsland Accelerator Program Leads Australia
Startup Gippsland program recognised as an outstanding success.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- Plight of Gippsland Farmers Still Being Ignored
No help yet for Gippsland farmers.
- Easter Egg Drive Supporting MNH Foodbank
Russell Northe teams up with Morwell Neighbourhood for Easter egg's donations.
- East Gippsland Water grants
Get Those Applications In for an Environmental Grant
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- Better Boating and Better Fishing for People in Eastern Victoria
$82.2 million investment for better boating and boost recreational fishing.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Autumn Newsletter
Autumn 2019 Newsletter
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland
We get your week underway with a snapshot of Food & Fibre industry news and activities across Gippsland, helping people and businesses to collaborate, innovate and engage.
- Freemasons Victoria Helping Gippsland Farmers
Freemasons Victoria to contribute $50,000 to Gippsland Farmers Relief.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Labor Must Not Delay Immediate Change for Better Mental Health Outcomes
Better health outcomes wanted badly.
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Plantation Timber to Take Root in Gippsland
$110 million investment in native plantation timber, including 550 hectares of crown land close to Maryvale and Yallourn North in the Latrobe Valley announced.
- Federation Training Becomes Tafe Gippsland
Federation Training unveils its new name.
- Keeping Our Promises and Delivering for Gippsland
Promises turning to realities for Gippsland.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.