• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
By Portal Admin - 5th November 2018 - Back to News
The transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium is set to ramp up thanks to the approval of a $10 million loan from the Andrews Labor Government.
Minister for Sport John Eren and Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing today announced that Latrobe City Council will be able to begin additional upgrades at both venues to benefit the community as well as attract the big events, thanks to the Community Sports Infrastructure Loans Scheme (CSILS).
Sport and recreation are the lifeblood of Victorian communities and the Labor Government is ensuring communities like those in the Valley have first class facilities available.
The Labor Government recently kicked in $46 million to the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre on top of the extra $8 million loan. The money will see the development of a 50 metre competition pool with spectator seating, 25 metre outdoor pool, warm water pool, indoor water play areas, water slides, gym, wellness centre and more.
At the Traralgon Sports Stadium redevelopment will go up a gear with the $2 million loan supporting the Labor Government’s $17 million investment which will deliver four additional indoor courts including a new FIBA show court with seating for 3,000 spectators, changerooms and an activity centre complete with gym.
It is expected the upgrades will increase the number of sports programs on offer, boost participation, help the venues attract and stage big events and strengthen community ties.
The $100 million CSILS provides low-interest loans of between $500,000 and $10 million for councils, clubs and organisations to improve or develop new community sport and recreation infrastructure.
Since November 2014 the Labor Government has invested more than $420 million in community sport and recreation facilities.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Sport John Eren
"Community sport is vital for our regional areas – this investment will encourage the Latrobe Valley community to participate and engage in sporting, recreational and social activities."
"We are working together with local councils to make local sport and recreation more welcoming, inclusive and accessible for all Victorians."
Quote attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"We’re delighted to provide the Valley with the new facilities they need so locals can attract big events and play the sports they love in their own backyard."
Quote attributable to Cricket Victoria CEO Andrew Ingleton
"Cricket’s partnership with the Victorian Government and Latrobe City Council will provide local cricketers from the entry level through to high performance with facilities that support skill development while also fostering participation growth, particularly by girls and women across the region."
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Helping More School Kids Stay Safe in the Sun in Rawson
77 schools will share in an almost $1 million School Shade Grants program.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Scholarships Help Change the Game for Women in Sport
Scholarships for up to $10,000 women looking to pursue leadership and development roles in sport and active recreation.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Official Opening of the Traralgon West Sporting Complex First Floor
Traralgon West Sporting Complex officially opened.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- School Breakfast Clubs Expansion to Help Traralgon Students Thrive
Traralgon (Stockdale Road) Primary School have been invited to participate in the School Breakfast Clubs Expansion Program.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Outdoor Pools Ready to Make a Splash
Seasonal outdoor pools at Yallourn North and Moe are ready for another summer.
- Work starts on new 36 million litre water storage tank at Wy Yung
Construction of a new 36 million litre water storage tank at East Gippsland Water's Wy Yung water storage facility.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Are You Ready To Get All Revved Up?
Latrobe City’s inaugural motorsport celebration event - Latrobe Motorfest.