• Add My News • Search Old News
Startup Gippsland 2019 Culminates In Dynamic Pitch Night -Prize Winners Announced
Grand finale event of the 2019 Startup Gippsland program.
By Portal Admin - 7th July 2019 - Back to News
The newly reborn West Gippsland Arts Centre provided a fittingly brilliant stage for the grand finale event of the 2019 Startup Gippsland program. Over 300 guests came to celebrate and the hear the Startup Gippsland pitches, some travelling hundreds of kilometers and interstate to be part of the night. There were four major prize winners:
Annebelle van Tongeren, Fern and Frost
Most Improved Entrepreneur
$3000, sponsored by TAFE Gippsland
Kristen Robbins, The Worksheds
Best Social Impact
$3000, sponsored by Commonwealth Bank
Lucy Nijam, CheckIt
Most Innovative Idea
$3000, sponsored by Regional Development Australia
Laura Eddington, Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps
$5000, sponsored by GippsTech
Laura Eddington, founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps won the major prize of Best Overall, on the exact two year anniversary of founding her business!
"Winning gives me an opportunity to spread the message that there is a better way to store food. It’s the highest compliment and validation that you’re onto a great business idea."
Laura Eddington, Founder, Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps
The money is important to Laura as it will enable Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps to take part in major wholesale trade fairs. However, Laura believes that her new community bring her the greatest value.
"It’s such a great program because it is local to the region. You have to have the support of the community around you in order to collaborate on ideas, strategies and goals. The program works by building your community."
Dr Elena Kelareva also spoke of the importance of community and about uncovering the international business ‘gold’ in the region to support the Startup Gippsland program.
"This is also about population attraction - to bring people to Gippsland we need not just nice houses and infrastructure but also a great community. Through Startup Gippsland, we found that there are so many people right here already who are building global businesses and changing the world, but because their customers are global, they promote themselves online rather than within the local community. Our mentors and startups were like little specks of gold that we found and connected together so they could help each other grow and succeed and become something so much more than they could be alone."
Dr Elena Kelareva, Founder and CEO, GippsTech.
The night was a euphoric celebration of smarts, inclusivity and community, hosted by charismatic MC Anthony Mayer, an enlivening expert speaker and innovative thinker. Originally a Gippsland boy, Cnr Graeme Middlemiss, Mayor of Latrobe City Council, good humouredly named Anthony Yinnar’s favourite son! Anthony highlighted the success of the program, calling it the best regional startup program in Australia and noted it’s value.
"A comparable Victorian program to this with 47 participants cost close to $6M, this program has 46 participants and was funded for only $400,000. I guess that 47th guy must’ve been hard work!"
Anthony Mayer, Startup Gippsland MC, Serial Entrepreneur, Founder, Online is Easy
40 of the 46 participating startups presented pitches. In a rapid fire, two minute rolling format the pitches tore through a gamut of spectacular ideas, competing to win great prizes and calling out to the audience for specific needs.
The mayors of the four shires auspicing the program lent their support and took the stage throughout the night: Cr Brett Tessari, Mayor of Bass Coast Shire Council, Cr Alan Hall, Mayor of Wellington Shire Council, Cr Mikaela Power, Mayor of Baw Baw Shire Council and Cr Graeme Middlemiss, Mayor of Latrobe City Council.
The judging panel included national startup authorities and local business experts: Colin Kinner, founder and CEO of Startup Onramp; Jordan Green, founder and President of Melbourne Angels, Trustee of the Angel Resource Institute (USA), Chairman of the Asian Business Angel Forum, Chairman Emeritus and a Fellow of the AAAI; Tim Weight, Executive Director, Strategic Engagement with TAFE Gippsland; Nikolle Mauchline, Relationship Manager for Regional and Agribusiness Banking at the Commonwealth Bank; Loretta Willaton, Regional General Manager for Telstra; Dr Abdel K Halabi, Senior Lecturer in Accounting at the Federation University Australia, Business School and Executive Board member of the Islamic Council of Victoria.
The judges’ pitch assessment criteria included the problem being solved, the solution and unique offering, validation and traction to date and the overall quality of the presentation.
It seems fitting to give the last word to the participants, through Carmelina Manzo who spoke on their behalf.
"I would like to thank two absolutely remarkable ladies who have led the Start Up Gippsland Program: Elena Kelareva and Stephanie Thoo. We would like to thank you for your support and guidance throughout the program. We are extremely grateful that you brought Startup Gippsland to our beautiful region."
Carmelina Manzo, Startup Gippsland Participant, Founder, Nourished by Carms
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Startup Gippsland Accelerator Program Leads Australia
Startup Gippsland program recognised as an outstanding success.
- Gippsland Startup wins a trip to China
Laura Eddington from Warragul and founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps wins a two day hackathon to Nanjing, China. Find out more about this exciting development for the company.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
- Gippsland Soccer Scores New Synthetic Field of Dreams
FIFA-accredited synthetic pitch for Gippsland Soccer.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- Gippsland Line Passengers Urged to Plan Ahead During April
State-wide Autumn transport construction blitz for metropolitan lines.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- Plight of Gippsland Farmers Still Being Ignored
No help yet for Gippsland farmers.
- East Gippsland Water grants
Get Those Applications In for an Environmental Grant
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- 2019 Bass Coast Australia Day Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year Awards
2019 Bass Coast Australia Day Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year Awards
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Autumn Newsletter
Autumn 2019 Newsletter
- 2019 OPTUS Victorian Country Long Course Swimming Championships
Happening on 25th January to 27th January.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Applications Invited for 2019 Bass Coast Business Awards
Applications are now open for 2019 Bass Coast Business Awards.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland
We get your week underway with a snapshot of Food & Fibre industry news and activities across Gippsland, helping people and businesses to collaborate, innovate and engage.
- Freemasons Victoria Helping Gippsland Farmers
Freemasons Victoria to contribute $50,000 to Gippsland Farmers Relief.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- The Australian Medium 2019 Tour
Charmaine Wilson 2019 Tour
- Federation Training Becomes Tafe Gippsland
Federation Training unveils its new name.
- Plantation Timber to Take Root in Gippsland
$110 million investment in native plantation timber, including 550 hectares of crown land close to Maryvale and Yallourn North in the Latrobe Valley announced.
- Keeping Our Promises and Delivering for Gippsland
Promises turning to realities for Gippsland.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- Pitch Perfect Start for Cricket Centre of Excellence
New Cricket Centre of Excellence at Ted Summerton Reserve now underway.
- Gippy’s Leading Food and Fibre Orgs to Merge
Agribusiness Gippsland and the East Gippsland Food Cluster set to amalgamate in early 2019 to support Gippsland’s important $7bn food and fibre industry.
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.
- Date Night the Best Start For Early Years
‘Date night’ for early years’ services to strengthen relationships across the sector.
- Delve Into Art This May
Gippsland celebrates ‘Come and Play All of May
- Applications Invited For Round 2 of Environmental Grants Scheme
East Gippsland Water now inviting applications for Round 2 Native Vegetation and Habitat Creation Grants program.
- Gippy Agchat Edition 154 01 April, 2019
Be aware of some of the issues of the latest agricultural issues in Gippsland. Read up on Gippy Agchat Edition 154.
- Gippy Agchat Edition 153 04 February, 2019
Be aware of some of the issues of the latest agricultural issues in Gippsland. Read up on Gippy Agchat Edition 153.
- More Funding Announced For Environment Volunteers in Eastern Victoria
Opening of the 2019-2020 Victorian Landcare Grant.
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Record Bass Stockings into Blue Rock
Bass stocked into Gippsland to improve inland recreational fishing opportunities.
- Standing with our Valued Lifeline Heroes
Standing with Gippsland communities due to fire and drought.
- Children’s Facilities Capital Program Grants Now Open in Eastern Victoria
2019/20 Children’s Facilities Capital Program opens today.