Latrobe Local News:
Major reports on Aboriginal Reconciliation and Regional Autonomy endorsed by Council
Latrobe City Councilís Braiakaulung Advisory Committee has advised Council on several key reports affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in Australia.
By Latrobe City Council - 8th November 2000 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have saidLatrobe City Councilís Braiakaulung Advisory Committee has advised Council on several key reports affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in Australia.
At its meeting on Monday, Council voted to support the two major documents as providing a basis for further development of reconciliation and regional autonomy for the Koorie community in Latrobe.
"Latrobe City Council is proud of the progress in reconciliation in Latrobe, and very appreciative of the efforts and good advice of the Braiakaulung Advisory Committee," Mayor, Cr Tony Hanning said.
The report Victorian Aboriginal Justice Agreement acknowledges that in order to achieve reconciliation, Indigenous Australians must have access to the same justice outcomes as other Victorians. The Report outlines a strategic plan for improving access by Indigenous people to justice system related services and programs.
The report Greater Regional Autonomy for Indigenous Communities recommends that the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission strengthens its regional focus by encouraging Indigenous Regional Councils to make greater use of their existing powers and over time to strengthen their powers.
"The two reports are very important documents for our community to consider. Council is very grateful for the advice it receives from its Advisory Committee," Cr Hanning concluded.
Cr. Tony Hanning, Mayor, Latrobe City
tel. 0417 373 577
Cr. Brendan Jenkins, Deputy Mayor, Latrobe City
tel. 0417 374 590
Ms. Penny Holloway, Chief Executive Officer,
tel. 5173 1401 or 0417 557 103
Jeremy Bein, Public Relations and Communications Officer,
tel. 5173 1468
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Major boost for local road projects
Road upgrades to make road use safer pedestrians and motorists.
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Reconciliation Action Plan Endorsed
Reconciliation Action Plan 2020-2022 focuses on relationships, respect for culture, opportunities and governance.
- Council and police to patrol Lake Narracan this long weekend
Latrobe council working with Victoria police to ensure compliance on the local laws Labour Day long weekend.
- Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Sharon Gibson is the new Mayor of Latrobe City
- Councilís Responsibilities during the Local Council Election Period
Council Election Caretaker Period from Tuesday 22 September to Saturday 24 October at 6pm.
- Council to seek legal advice over Ministerís ULAB decision
Council voted to seek advice from a Senior Counsel after being disappointed by the Ministerís decision in approving an amendment.
- Council Works with Community towards COVID Recovery
You can still call Council on 1300 367 700 and receive assistance with COVID-19 related matters.
- Council working to help Business Access Outdoor Dining Assistance
$87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package ready to assist local businesses.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- Council backs businesses with Small Business Grants
A well governed grant that would help enable businesses to create investment opportunities and employment that would benefit the community.
- Council welcomes VinFast to Bass Coast
VinFast to establish business in Bass Coast that will help support local jobs, while also acknowledging the value of the surrounding bushland.
- Council Grants Support the Community
138 projects funded through its Community Grants and Community Sponsorship programs.
- Regional Travel Scheme Launched
Regional Travel Voucher Scheme launched with first 40,000 vouchers valued at $200 each available to be redeemed for travel between Saturday, 12 December 2020 and Friday, 22 January 2021.
- Regional Victoria Robbed in Big Borrowing, Big Debt Labor Budget
Outspent on city-focused State Budget, delivered little for regional Victorians.
- Regional Victoria to Take Third Step
In the Third Step you can form household bubbles.which will allow households across regional Victoria to choose one other household to be in a bubble. You can visit them in their home and they can visit you Ė with up to a total of five visitors.
- Regional Roadmap Goes in Wrong Direction
Concerns for many local businesses with Regional Roadmap.
- Regional Roadmap Going in Wrong Direction
Calls to review the thresholds that apply to the "Last Step" within the reopening roadmap to Regional Victoria.
- Regional Victorians still in a state of uncertainty
Government has not made agreements to make Victoria stable.
- Regional Vic must Benefit from State Budget
2020-21 Victorian State Budget should lay out a plan to restore Victoriansí lives and livelihoods.
- Regional Victoria Moving to the Third Step
Victoria comes out of the second wave.
- Youth Council Spreads Health Message
Good Food for Mental Health project was identified to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for the Latrobe City population.
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- New Regional COVID Rules a Mixed Bag
Mixed views on COVID-19 restrictions for Regional Victorians.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Latrobe Cityís Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Bass Coast Shire Council makes more service changes due to COVID
Face-to-face customer services and visitor services will cease at Wonthaggi, Cowes and Inverloch and will operate in other communication means.
- Statement on Regional Victoria Moving to the Third Step
Towards recovery with the Third Step.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Bass Coast Takes Another Step Towards Reconciliation
Council to reconcile and develop its first Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Da Vinci exhibition opens at Latrobe Regional Gallery
An event to witness the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, the worldís greatest mind.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support membersí transition to COVID Normal.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- Statement on COVID Restrictions for Regional Victoria
Regional Victoria re-entering Stage 3 COVID restrictions this week.
- Separate Roadmap Needed for Regional Victoria
Letter to the editor on a separate roadmap needed for regional Victoria.
- Long-lasting impacts of lockdown on regional Victorians
Our most recent lockdown may have lasted five days, but the impacts will be long-lasting across our regional communities. Is the local government's lack of pandemic preparation making our state suffer?
- Labor Giving City Projects a Leg Up, but Forcing Country Communities to their Knees
Tangled red and green tape makes it too difficult for people to develop in regional Victoria.
- Draft Climate Action Plan 2020-24 Endorsed by Council
The Plan identifies a number of actions to undertake to achieve the objective of zero net emissions over the next 10 years and to ensure a climate resilient community.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiersí Reading Challenge.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Traralgon Renewable Energy Project Supported by Latrobe City Council
Renewable energy project at Traralgon Neighbourhood Learning House.
- Big boom, big boon for Aquatic Centre
Major splash at the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre.
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Truth Masked by Minister on Mandatory Face Coverings for Regional Vic
Regional Victorians need to continue to wear masks.