Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe City Council endorses Tourism and Major Events Strategy Plan
A tourism and major events strategy plan has been prepared in consultation with tourism operators in Latrobe City.
By Latrobe City Council - 8th November 2000 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have saidIn order to develop tourism and major events in Latrobe as a major industry sector, and to attract industry support, a tourism and major events strategy plan has been prepared in consultation with tourism operators in Latrobe City.
At its meeting on Monday, Latrobe City Council endorsed the Strategy Plan as a guide to future development of tourism and major events in Latrobe City.
Latrobe City Mayor, Cr Tony Hanning said that the Plan had developed from a major Tourism Search Conference held in February 2000 with tourism operators and business to identify tourism themes, products and priorities as the basis for a tourism strategy.
"There has been very extensive consultation with tourism operators and businesses on the key directions for tourism in Latrobe City. This process has been overseen by Councilís Tourism Reference Group," Cr Hanning said.
The Plan provides an overview of the background to tourism, identifies Latrobeís competitive advantages and points the way for tourism product development. It also outlines a marketing strategy, which will be further developed in a separate marketing plan.
"The Tourism Reference Group has done a great job in advising Council on the development of tourism in Latrobe in the first twelve months since it was appointed as an interim advisory structure to Council. After all, tourism and major events have only been established under Latrobe City Council management since responsibility transferred from Gippsland Country Tourism at the end of 1999. A huge amount has happened over the last twelve months," Cr Hanning said.
Council plans to hold a workshop before the end of 2000 involving the Tourism Reference Group, Central Latrobe Tourism Association and other interested tourism operators to canvass options for tourism industry development and advisory structures in the future. Further advice will be provided about the details of the workshop in the weeks to come.
"Tourism and major events are a very significant part of Councilís economic development strategy. They are an important industry sector for Latrobe. Over the past twelve months major effort has gone into establishing the tourism and major events areas within Council. The Plan is an important contribution to setting the direction for tourism," Councillor Hanning concluded.
Copies of the Tourism and Major Events Strategy Plan can be obtained from Councilís Citizen Services Centres at Moe, Morwell and Traralgon, or by telephoning 1300 367 700.
Cr. Tony Hanning, Mayor, Latrobe City
tel. 0417 373 577
Cr. Brendan Jenkins, Deputy Mayor, Latrobe City
tel. 0417 374 590
Ms. Penny Holloway, Chief Executive Officer,
tel. 5173 1401 or 0417 557 103
Jeremy Bein, Public Relations and Communications Officer,
tel. 5173 1468
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Latrobe Cityís Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support membersí transition to COVID Normal.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiersí Reading Challenge.
- Labor Giving City Projects a Leg Up, but Forcing Country Communities to their Knees
Tangled red and green tape makes it too difficult for people to develop in regional Victoria.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Council and police to patrol Lake Narracan this long weekend
Latrobe council working with Victoria police to ensure compliance on the local laws Labour Day long weekend.
- Traralgon Renewable Energy Project Supported by Latrobe City Council
Renewable energy project at Traralgon Neighbourhood Learning House.
- Da Vinci exhibition opens at Latrobe Regional Gallery
An event to witness the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, the worldís greatest mind.
- Bush Crew beautifies Latrobe City
Workers found new employment after losing their jobs during the pandemic through beautification of Latrobe City.
- Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Sharon Gibson is the new Mayor of Latrobe City
- Aquatic centre access a win for Latrobe Leisure members
Leisure members to have complementary access on GRAC according to membership classification.
- Celebrating Childrenís Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this yearís Childrenís Week celebrations.
- Building & Improving Kindergartens in the Latrobe Valley for the Future
Victoria rolls out funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
- Councilís Responsibilities during the Local Council Election Period
Council Election Caretaker Period from Tuesday 22 September to Saturday 24 October at 6pm.
- Council to seek legal advice over Ministerís ULAB decision
Council voted to seek advice from a Senior Counsel after being disappointed by the Ministerís decision in approving an amendment.
- Council Works with Community towards COVID Recovery
You can still call Council on 1300 367 700 and receive assistance with COVID-19 related matters.
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.
- Council working to help Business Access Outdoor Dining Assistance
$87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package ready to assist local businesses.
- Council backs businesses with Small Business Grants
A well governed grant that would help enable businesses to create investment opportunities and employment that would benefit the community.
- Council welcomes VinFast to Bass Coast
VinFast to establish business in Bass Coast that will help support local jobs, while also acknowledging the value of the surrounding bushland.
- Council Grants Support the Community
138 projects funded through its Community Grants and Community Sponsorship programs.
- Youth Council Spreads Health Message
Good Food for Mental Health project was identified to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for the Latrobe City population.
- Major boost for local road projects
Road upgrades to make road use safer pedestrians and motorists.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Supporting Our Music Industry in the Latrobe Valley
Survival grants for local live music venues and new grants to protect music jobs on stage.
- Bass Coast Shire Council makes more service changes due to COVID
Face-to-face customer services and visitor services will cease at Wonthaggi, Cowes and Inverloch and will operate in other communication means.
- Early Works Underway for Car Parks in the Latrobe Valley
Tests underway to determine feasibility of the eight preferred sites in Moe, Morwell and Traralgon.
- Local Choir Creates Connection and Celebration across Latrobe Valley
Inventive virtual choir promoting social connection and fun through music in the Latrobe Valley.
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- More Testing Facilities Needed in Latrobe
Enhanced testing capacities in the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Plan for COVID recovery
Government to adopt a plan for COVID-19 recovery.
- Dancers in the Running for National Award
Latrobe City dancers has made the finals of the Australian Dance Awards.
- Nominate a Top Senior
Latrobe City Senior Citizen of the Year award, now open for nominations.
- Plan Now for Winter Firewood Needs
From September 1, designated firewood collection areas opened across Victoria.
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- Draft Climate Action Plan 2020-24 Endorsed by Council
The Plan identifies a number of actions to undertake to achieve the objective of zero net emissions over the next 10 years and to ensure a climate resilient community.
- Danís Plan to Close Meat Processors will put Food Security at Risk
Coronavirus outbreaks at meatworks under control is threatening the supply of food to supermarket shelves.
- Supporting Small-Scale School Building Projects in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Important upgrades to Victorian schools.
- Local Festivals and Events go Digital
Activities will be supported through the Governmentís Multicultural Festivals and Events program, encouraging 148 community organisations across Victoria to get creative and move their events online.
- Volunteers to Offer Disaster Relief
Volunteers are helping Latrobe City recover from the impacts of the bushfire.
- Liberal Nationals Release New Plan to get Victorians Back to Work and Back in Business
Victoria needs a bold plan.
- Interstate interest in author talk
A Zoom presentation of the Latrobe City Libraries with author Heather Morris.
- LV Seniors Missing Out on Travel Benefits Again
Latrobe Valley seniors, disadvantaged by changes to the distribution of travel vouchers for Pensioner Concession Card holders, Victorian Seniors Card holders and Victorian Carer Card holders.
- Local Artists to Be Showcased Along Rail Trail
Latrobe Valley artists will have the chance to showcase their work along one of the regionís most scenic recreational trails.
- Liberal Nationalsí Positive Plan to Freeze Bills to Help Households
Freezing a raft of fees and charges as a means to financially assist Victorian families.
- Call Out for Creative Ideas to Boost Tourism
Ideas needed for creative projects that have strong potential to become new tourist attractions, contributing to the economic recovery of the region in 2021 and beyond.
- Dinosaur Trail Master Plan Launches into Action
$250,000 allocated from 2020/21 Budget to complete the Master Plan.
- Dine Outdoors this Summer
Council, local business and tourism groups to promote and encourage people in outdoor dining to help boost the economy.
- Valley public transport cost woes continue
Northe has renewed calls for a review of the Latrobe Valleyís unfair public transport ticketing structure that places local commuters at a disadvantage. The current MYKI system forces local commuters to pay more than other area across the State.
- Caring for our Diverse Community
Council appointed new members to the City Cultural Diversity Advisory Committee.
- Reconciliation Action Plan Endorsed
Reconciliation Action Plan 2020-2022 focuses on relationships, respect for culture, opportunities and governance.
- New Initiative Opens Cultural Doors for Locals
Distance and transport will no longer be a barrier for Latrobe Valley residents wanting to attend cultural events in the regional city.
- Northe Calls for Budget for Big Builds
Russel calls for meaningful support for economic recovery to the Latrobe Valley. It is important the local economy could be stimulated and encouraged with valuable developments in the region.
- Innovation Centre Brings Hundreds of Jobs to Gippsland
Innovation centre to create more jobs for Latrobe Valley.
Innovation centre to create more jobs for Latrobe Valley.