Latrobe Local News:
Council acts on Falcons
Latrobe City Council taken steps to call up a loan made to Gippsland Falcons.
By Latrobe City Council - 16th January 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have saidLatrobe City Council has taken steps to call up a loan made to the Gippsland Falcons, and has lodged a claim over the land and buildings at Falcons Park.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Tony Hanning, said that Council’s hand had been forced on the issue, and Council had taken the only responsible course of action, that of instructing its solicitors to initiate the necessary legal processes.
“Council had no option but to take this action, because we have not received a loan repayment from the Falcons for six months, and there has been no identifiable prospect of the situation improving,” Cr Hanning said.
“It is indeed unfortunate that we have had to call up the loan, but the Council needs to act responsibly, protecting its financial position and ratepayers’ funds,” Councillor Hanning added.
“We have given the Falcons every opportunity and assistance. We have extended the time period for payment, but our patience and tolerance have been strained to the point where in the interests of all Latrobe citizens we now have to act.”
“In claiming the land and buildings under the first mortgage, Council will recoup the funds loaned to the Gippsland Falcons,” Councillor Hanning concluded.
Cr. Tony Hanning, Mayor, Latrobe City
tel. 0417 373 577
Cr. Brendan Jenkins, Deputy Mayor, Latrobe City
tel. 0417 374 590
Ms. Penny Holloway, Chief Executive Officer,
tel. 5173 1401 or 0417 557 103
Jeremy Bein, Public Relations and Communications Officer,
tel. 5173 1468
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Council and police to patrol Lake Narracan this long weekend
Latrobe council working with Victoria police to ensure compliance on the local laws Labour Day long weekend.
- Council’s Responsibilities during the Local Council Election Period
Council Election Caretaker Period from Tuesday 22 September to Saturday 24 October at 6pm.
- Council to seek legal advice over Minister’s ULAB decision
Council voted to seek advice from a Senior Counsel after being disappointed by the Minister’s decision in approving an amendment.
- Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Sharon Gibson is the new Mayor of Latrobe City
- Council Works with Community towards COVID Recovery
You can still call Council on 1300 367 700 and receive assistance with COVID-19 related matters.
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Council working to help Business Access Outdoor Dining Assistance
$87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package ready to assist local businesses.
- Council backs businesses with Small Business Grants
A well governed grant that would help enable businesses to create investment opportunities and employment that would benefit the community.
- Council welcomes VinFast to Bass Coast
VinFast to establish business in Bass Coast that will help support local jobs, while also acknowledging the value of the surrounding bushland.
- Council Grants Support the Community
138 projects funded through its Community Grants and Community Sponsorship programs.
- Youth Council Spreads Health Message
Good Food for Mental Health project was identified to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for the Latrobe City population.
- Bass Coast Shire Council makes more service changes due to COVID
Face-to-face customer services and visitor services will cease at Wonthaggi, Cowes and Inverloch and will operate in other communication means.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Latrobe City’s Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support members’ transition to COVID Normal.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- Traralgon Renewable Energy Project Supported by Latrobe City Council
Renewable energy project at Traralgon Neighbourhood Learning House.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Draft Climate Action Plan 2020-24 Endorsed by Council
The Plan identifies a number of actions to undertake to achieve the objective of zero net emissions over the next 10 years and to ensure a climate resilient community.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Caring for our Diverse Community
Council appointed new members to the City Cultural Diversity Advisory Committee.
- Cowes Starts the Year on the Right Path
Council prepares to commence construction of two new paths and the renewal of an existing path as part of its 2020/21 Capital Works Program.
- Used Lead Acid Battery (ULAB) recycling facility at Hazelwood North
Council to continue strong support and ensure community sentiments will be communicated with the government.
- Bass Coast Takes Another Step Towards Reconciliation
Council to reconcile and develop its first Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
- Seeking Real Time Customer Feedback
Council is rolling out a Customer Experience Survey over the coming months.
- Rate Freeze, Not a Freeze for Some
Council rate increases being experienced by a number of local rate-payers.
- Bass Coast is ready for Christmas
Council to allocate budget to fund Christmas decorations in major centres
- Funding sought for recreation projects
Council to fund to redevelop and improve cricket training facilities.
- Customer Service Up and Running in Cowes
Council has opened a new Customer Service Centre in Cowes
- Cowes Pool Unable To Open This Summer
Council and YMCA prioritising community safety.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- Labor Giving City Projects a Leg Up, but Forcing Country Communities to their Knees
Tangled red and green tape makes it too difficult for people to develop in regional Victoria.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Wonthaggi Railway Station Extension in Progress
Local design company DB Design, Council and the Historical Society worked closely to prepare the project and significant attention to detail was required to ensure it was supported by Heritage Victoria.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Policies Adopted in Time for New Act
The Public Transparency Policy 2020 provides clarity on the information Council must make available, access to that information and categories of information that Council may not be able to make available to the public.
- Da Vinci exhibition opens at Latrobe Regional Gallery
An event to witness the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, the world’s greatest mind.
- Community Engagement Policy approved
Government act to improve council performance through community engagements.
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Bush Crew beautifies Latrobe City
Workers found new employment after losing their jobs during the pandemic through beautification of Latrobe City.
- Aquatic centre access a win for Latrobe Leisure members
Leisure members to have complementary access on GRAC according to membership classification.
- Building & Improving Kindergartens in the Latrobe Valley for the Future
Victoria rolls out funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
- Give your Voting Ballot Papers to the VEC
Mail your completed voting ballot papers for the council election to the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC).
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.