• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
By Portal Admin - 5th November 2018 - Back to News
Warragul residents now have access to a range of justice services under the same roof thanks to the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
The one-stop shop will allow people to get consumer affairs advice, make sheriff payments, see youth justice staff, access the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria and submit births, deaths and marriages applications.
The $1.2 million centre will also act as a base for the Warragul Community Correctional Services (CCS) team, which is responsible for managing offenders on community-based orders by ensuring they comply with conditions set by the courts or Adult Parole Board.
The centre opened for business on 11 September and is conveniently located on Queen Street in the Warragul CBD, in close proximity to the train station and other government services including Centrelink and Medicare.
The centre is part of the Victorian Government’s investment of more than $65 million to open new Justice Service Centres and refurbish existing offices across the state.
Warragul is the 16th new Justice Service Centre to open under the expansion program and adds to other Gippsland centres in Bairnsdale, Morwell, Sale and Wonthaggi.
In total, more than $320 million has been invested over the last three years to strengthen Victoria’s expanding CCS system, with more than 300 extra CCS staff recruited to manage and supervise offenders.
This includes 16 staff in the Gippsland region, seven of whom are located in Warragul.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"The new centre is a tremendous asset for Warragul residents, who previously had to travel to Morwell or Pakenham to access Births Deaths and Marriages, Consumer Affairs, the Dispute Settlement Centre and Youth Justice Services."
"Baw Baw Shire is one of the fastest growing local government areas in the state, and the centre will ensure residents have access to a wide range of justice services under the same roof."
Quotes attributable to Minister for Corrections Gayle Tierney
"This facility is a major boost for CCS staff, who work hard each day to make Victoria a safer place by helping to rehabilitate offenders."
"CCS has expanded significantly in recent years, and the Victorian Government’s investment in infrastructure is ensuring staff have the space and facilities they need to continue their vital work."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- New Playspace for Warragul Worth its Weight in Marbles
Brand new play equipment for students at Warragul North Primary School with Pick My Project initiative.
- New Technology Boosting Safety in Nar Nar Goon
New technology installed at a high-risk intersection near Nar Nar Goon, for easier and safer turning to the Princes Highway.
- New Island Off-Leash Beaches Introduced
New off-leash beach areas in San Remo, Cape Woolamai, Cowes West and Ventnor will be introduced by 1 December 2019 in time for summer.
- New Bills Introduced into Victorian Parliament Last Week
Three new bills introduced into Parliament this week.
- A New Jobs and Volunteering Hub for Gippsland
New job opportunities for Gippsland locals with new job hub.
- A New Chairperson Appointed and Lots More!
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
- New Home Found for PICAL
A vacant block of land that forms part of what is locally known as the ‘Old Warley Hospital’ site on Warley Avenue in Cowes will be the future home of Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL).
- An Exciting New Era for Morwell Maternal and Child Health Services
Morwell Maternal and Child Health relocation.
- Work starts on new 36 million litre water storage tank at Wy Yung
Construction of a new 36 million litre water storage tank at East Gippsland Water's Wy Yung water storage facility.
- Download your New Bin Collection Calendar Now
2019/20 bin collection calendars are now available for download.
- West Gippsland Healthcare Group Celebrates Completion of New Short Stay Unit and Third Operating Theatre
newly completed Short Stay Unit and third Operating Theatre at West Gippsland Hospital
- Repairs and Renewals on the Way
Access stairs at the First Surf Beach in Cape Paterson will be repaired in coming weeks.
- Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches
Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches come December 1.
- Connecting the New College Campus
Traffic management plan for 2020 being worked on by Bass Coast Shire Council, Wonthaggi Secondary College and the Bass Coast Specialist School.
- Cricket Fans are Padding Up for an Exciting New Innings in Gippsland Cricket
New home for Gippsland cricket at state-of-the-art facility at the Ted Summerton Reserve.
- Support Service Open for Business
Free, flexible and confidential tailored support service for business owners in Latrobe Valley.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Churchill United Service Station Finally Comes Down
Demolition works for old United service station in Churchill starts to roll.
- Gippsland Rail Services Questioned Again
Question Time used to ask benefits Gippsland commuters will receive when current rail upgrades get completed.
- Mecwacare Announced as New Provider
Mecwacare chosen by both the State and Federal governments as the provider of Aged and Disability Services and Assessment Services for the Bass Coast Shire and will start servicing Bass Coast clients from January 2020.
- Putting Out the Call for a New Kind of Art
Bass Coast Shire Council calls for expressions of interest for 2019/20 project.
- Gippsland’s Allied Health Service Receives Vital Boost
Allied Health programs' funding support announced.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Cowes to Get Cultural Centre Upgrade
$19 million committed to rebuild the Cowes Cultural and Community Centre.
- Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.
- Next Steps for Wonthaggi Activity Centre Plan
Bass Coast Shire Council’s Draft Wonthaggi Activity Centre Plan has been developed to establish a vision for Wonthaggi for the next 20 years and to reinforce Wonthaggi’s role as a regional centre.
- Growing Careers for Hard-Working Hospital Workers in Eastern Victoria
New training and skills program now open to non-clinical workers in Victorian health services to help them to grow long and exciting careers in the health sector.
- Lines of Communication are Open – and Accessible
Customer Service and Visitor Information Centres awarded with Scope’s Communication Access Symbol.
- State Government Regulations for Private Pools and Spas
New regulations require council residents who own a private swimming pool or spa to register them with Council by 1 June 2020.
- The Isobel Project
New program gives female leaders opportunity to better understand the political process.
- Skate Parks Ready to Ride
New completed skate parks at Cowes, Grantville and Corinella.
- Gippsland Trail Blazes in Motorbike Safety
New pilot project for riders at Neerim State Forest.
- Northe Calls for Promised LV Ambulance Services
Little information available starting date for Morwell and Moe ambulance stations.
- Skating Around Bass Coast
New Skate Park officially opens.
- Labor Votes against Stronger Penalties for Farm Trespass
Bill with new offence of ‘aggravated’ trespass with increased penalties and a mandatory minimum non-parole sentence of six months for anyone found guilty lost 13 to 26.
- Christmas Comes Early for Ted Summerton Reserve
Exciting summer of cricket as the new Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe opens.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Getting Ready for Three-Year-Old Kinder in Eastern Victoria
Support for new teachers from the landmark roll-out of funded Three-Year-Old Kinder.
- Turning Vacant Places to Local Creative Spaces in Eastern Victoria
Projects to develop new creative spaces under Regional Coworking Spaces and Creative Places program.
- Ditching the Dreaded Double-Drop Off in Warragul
Warragul families and surrounds will soon be able to ditch the dreaded ‘double-drop off’ with new kindergartens at primary schools across the state.
- Sustainability at the Forefront for the Design of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre
Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre - first public aquatic facility in Victoria to incorporate a geothermal heating system.
- Clubroom Upgrade for Warragul Women
Completed upgrade project at the clubrooms, thanks to a $36,431 grant.