Latrobe Local News:
New Skatepark Being Constructed In Morwell
New skateboard park to be constructed in Maryvale Road
By Latrobe City Council - 23rd May 2002 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Morwell’s young people will soon be able to enjoy a new skateboard park being constructed on the site of the old Morwell Technical School in Maryvale Road, on land owned by the Valley Christian Centre.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, said the new facility was being constructed as a joint venture between Council and the Valley Christian Centre, and was being funded through a grant from the Department of Sport and Recreation matched with funding from Council.
The Valley Christian Centre have provided the site for the facility and are in the process of modifying surrounding concrete slabs which will hold future ramps.
Councillor Jenkins said the agreement with the Valley Christian Centre was for a temporary facility which would be monitored and reviewed by Council after a period of time. "We want to make sure skateboard users, residents, the church authorities and Council are all happy with the arrangement before we give it permanent status. In the foreseeable future the young people of Morwell will have a top class facility of a similar nature to that which the young people of Traralgon, Moe and Churchill already have," Cr Jenkins said.
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss said the skatepark was good news for Morwell’s youth. "We have been working hard with the young people of Morwell to get a skatepark off the ground and at last we have been able to deliver," Cr Middlemiss said.
The skate park is due to be completed over the next month.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- New Parks for Waterline Skaters
Construction of permanent Skate Parks, now underway.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- New Wy Yung Water Storage
Preparations for a new 36 million litre water storage tank in Wy Yung.
- A New Look for Bass Coast Children’s Centre
A bright new learning space for Bass Coast Children’s Centre.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Collaborations for Gippsland’s Food and Fibre Sector
Gippsland’s food and fibre industry is set to continue its growth and market presence.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Three new Labor taxes celebrate their third birthday
Labor taxes' anniversary.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- Location Announced For New Morwell Fire Station
A new fire station in Morwell to boost to emergency services in the Latrobe Valley.
- Funding Boost for Newborough’s Athletes
10 new multi-sport courts and a pavilion to be constructed.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Labor’s False Claims Equal No New Trains for Country Victoria
No new trains for Victoria.
- Building Begins On New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access to more kindergarten places in Morwell.
- San Remo Skaters Score New Skate Park
$650,000 new skate park for San Remo
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- On The Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Expression of Interest (EOI) from experienced artists for a contemporary public artwork to be installed in the Bass Valley and Hinterland region.
- Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
- Bass Coast Welcomes New Citizens
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Historic Shed in New Home
Coels Shed relocated to the Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL) community garden.
- Guide Park Concept Plan
Feedback are welcome on concept plan to uprade Wonthaggi Guide Park.
- Cowes Skate Park Works Back on Track
Cowes Skate Park work continues.
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Regional Skate Park Plans Shift
Expert's opinion on the Regional Skate Park and Playspace.
- Help shape Skate Park and Play Space
Community consultation sessions by Bass Coast Shire Council
- Hazelwood Pondage Caravan Park Closure
Hazelwood Pondage Caravan Park temporarily closed.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Armistice Street Theatre Performances to Recognise the End of World War I
New free street theatre performance to recognise the 100 year anniversary of the signing of the Armistice.
- Water Sector Signs Innovative Energy Deal
New energy partnership to minimise greenhouse gas emissions and maintain affordable water bills.
- Capital Works Coming Up
New footpath in Wonthaggi and drainage improvements in San Remo and Inverloch this month.
- Extra Rehabilitation Beds for Victorian Youth
New youth residential rehabilitation facility to be established in Gippsland.
- Footpath and Bus Shelter on the Go
New footpath and bus shelter along Bayview Avenue in Inverloch this January.
- Sale Showgrounds Open and Water Tower Redevelopment Happening
New amenities and recreation building at the Sale Showgrounds is now open.
- Pitch Perfect Start for Cricket Centre of Excellence
New Cricket Centre of Excellence at Ted Summerton Reserve now underway.
- Comment on Arts and Culture
New Strategy replaces the 2015-2019 Arts and Culture Plan
- Gippsland, a Tourism Boom that Keeps Growing
New data showed 2018 as tourism industry's biggest year.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Gippsland’s Leading Food and Fibre Organisations to Amalgamate
New entity supports Gippy food and fibre sectors
- Grantville Gets Information Upgrade
New information shelter works starting 29 March.
- The Nationals Announce Upper House Teams For Northern Victoria and Eastern Victoria
Two new candidates join existing Upper House members.
- Free Text Books for Secondary School Students
Promise of new free textbooks for secondary schoold students if the Nationals get elected.
- Morwell Rose Garden Festival Funding
A $100,000 Federal Government funding to expand the Morwell Rose Garden Festival.
- Morwell Makes Room for ‘Her Place’
Celebrating the lives of Victorian women with an exhibition in Morwell.
- Building Upgrades at Wonthaggi Primary School
Important new works for the Wonthaggi Primary School soon!
- Upgrades to Morwell Kindergartens’ Play-Based Learning Spaces
First-rate kindergarten with upgrades to Morwell kindergartens.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Advocating for Two Priority Pools
$60 million wanted for two Aquatics projects: A new pool for Phillip Island and the redevelopment of the Bass Coast Aquatic Centre in Wonthaggi.
- Connecting Morwell with High-Speed Broadband
Access to high-speed broadband for Morwell.
- Feedback Wanted for Updated Guide Park Plan
Your opinion wanted on plan for the playspace at Wonthaggi Guide Park.