Bass Coast Local News:
Award Winning Team Of Architects To Design New Bass Coast Library
Garner Davis Architects have been chosen to design Bass Coast Shire’s new Principal Library. The firm was chosen from a field of 18 tenderers, and will design and project manage the construction of the new facility in Wonthaggi...
By Bass Coast Shire Council - 4th October 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Garner Davis Architects have been chosen to design Bass Coast Shire’s new Principal Library. The firm was chosen from a field of 18 tenderers, and will design and project manage the construction of the new facility in Wonthaggi.
"When deciding on a designer we had to balance many priorities such as their ability to successfully consult with our community, design an ecologically sustainable building and work within our budget constraints in a timely manner," said Cr Miranda Sage, Mayor of Bass Coast Shire Council.
"After a comprehensive public tender and evaluation process, the Council’s Library Project Team unanimously recommended that Council appoint Garner Davis Architects due to their proven design strengths, cost control systems and the excellent team of technical services supporting them," said Cr Sage.
Jillian Garner and Lindsay Davis are a multi-award winning architectural team with many credits to their names including design projects which were highly commended at last year’s State Architecture Awards for Victoria.
Bass Coast’s new principal library will be built in the Wonthaggi Civic Precinct upgrading the present service to ‘Principal Library’ status to meet existing demand and support the neighbourhood libraries in Inverloch and Cowes as well as cater for future demands for library services from across the Shire. The new library will be a facility for the future with the ability to tap into new technologies.
The newly appointed architects started conceptual work on the library this week with a tour of the area to get a sense of the ambience, the natural and built strengths of the area, the town and its environs and start consultations with the wide range of stakeholders.
At a forum on Wednesday with Council officers and members of the new Community Advisory Committee, the architects discussed ecologically sound techniques that could be used in the design to minimise the threats to our environment and save on future maintenance costs.
The Community Advisory Committee consists of representatives from around the Shire, including students, who will assist Council and Garner Davis Architects design the new library.
Members of the Community Advisory Committee for the new library are:
· Richard Kentwell, South Dudley
· Elizabeth Shaw, Cowes
· Nat Robbins, Wonthaggi
· Jai Miller, Cape Paterson
· Susannah Seaholme-Rolan, Cape Paterson
· Renee Mileto, Wonthaggi
· Beryl Farr, Wonthaggi
· Tully Fletcher, Wonthaggi
· Nola Thorpe, Wonthaggi
· Johana Linde, Lang Lang
Council is still keen to hear from people in Bass, Grantville, Corinella, Coronet Bay, Inverloch, and young people from Phillip Island who would be interested in helping to plan the new library by being part of the Committee. If you’re interested, please contact Glenys Sharma at Bass Coast Shire Council on 5671 2211 or 5951 3311.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- A New Look for Bass Coast Children’s Centre
A bright new learning space for Bass Coast Children’s Centre.
- Bass Coast Team in Asia’s First Swimrun
Kara Landells of Kilcunda and Nina Barry-Macaulay of Cape Paterson will join 30 athletes from around the world to participate in Asia’s first swimrun
- Bass Coast Welcomes New Citizens
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Bass Coast joins Application for Rural Council Transformation Program Funding
Bass Coast Shire Council applies for funding to establish the next stage of a shared services entity in Gippsland.
- 2019 Bass Coast Australia Day Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year Awards
2019 Bass Coast Australia Day Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year Awards
- Bass Coast’s Best Recognised
Deb Rielly: 2019 Bass Coast Citizen of the Year at the Australia Day Awards.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- New Wy Yung Water Storage
Preparations for a new 36 million litre water storage tank in Wy Yung.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Collaborations for Gippsland’s Food and Fibre Sector
Gippsland’s food and fibre industry is set to continue its growth and market presence.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- New Parks for Waterline Skaters
Construction of permanent Skate Parks, now underway.
- Three new Labor taxes celebrate their third birthday
Labor taxes' anniversary.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- Funding Boost for Newborough’s Athletes
10 new multi-sport courts and a pavilion to be constructed.
- Applications Invited for 2019 Bass Coast Business Awards
Applications are now open for 2019 Bass Coast Business Awards.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Location Announced For New Morwell Fire Station
A new fire station in Morwell to boost to emergency services in the Latrobe Valley.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Labor’s False Claims Equal No New Trains for Country Victoria
No new trains for Victoria.
- Active Bass Coast
Active Bass Coast Plan, a ten year Plan that sets the scene for healthy and active environments and services into the future.
- Work Experience at Bass Coast Shire Coucil
By Mathew Copeland – Year 10 Wonthaggi Secondary College
- Record Bass Stockings into Blue Rock
Bass stocked into Gippsland to improve inland recreational fishing opportunities.
- Building Begins On New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access to more kindergarten places in Morwell.
- Council to Back Call for Newstart Increase
Bass Coast Shire Council supports increase Newstart Allowance payments.
- Fixing Local Roads in Bass Coast Shire
Bass Coast Shire gets help to fix local road network with $100 million Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Road Safety Boost for Bass Coast Schools
Improvements for kids and families' safety around Inverloch/Kongwak Primary School and Newhaven College.
- San Remo Skaters Score New Skate Park
$650,000 new skate park for San Remo
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- On The Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Expression of Interest (EOI) from experienced artists for a contemporary public artwork to be installed in the Bass Valley and Hinterland region.
- The Nationals Announce Upper House Teams For Northern Victoria and Eastern Victoria
Two new candidates join existing Upper House members.
- Keep Recycling, Bass Coast!
Unaffected by the SKM Recycling’s facilities' closure.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
- Buckley Farewells Bass Coast
CEO Paul Buckley PSM bids farewell after five years in the top job.
- Historic Shed in New Home
Coels Shed relocated to the Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL) community garden.
- Temporary Traralgon Library Hours
Traralgon Library closing.
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- All Politics is Local
Bass Coast Shire Council supports the Australian Local Government Association’s (ALGA) Federal Election Advocacy campaign titled ‘All Politics is Local’
- Combating Erosion at Inverloch
Bass Coast Shire Council and environmental groups continued to meet to respond to the ongoing erosion along the Inverloch Surf Beach.
- Tertiary Education Roundtable Looks to Our Future
Bass Coast Shire Council hosts discussion on progressing tertiary education investment in the Shire.
- Keep Up War on Waste
Bass Coast Shire Council worked with the community to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
- Working Together to Reduce Emissions
Bass Coast Shire Council agreed to work towards a community greenhouse gas emissions target.
- Help To Grow Local Events
Bass Coast Shire Council meets up to create strategic plan to attract events to Bass Coast.
- Get Qualified on the Job with Council
Bass Coast Shire Counci, now offering a range of Traineeships and Apprenticeships.
- Off to Save Lembongan
Two girls from Bass Coast heading off to Nusa Lembongan, Bali to represent Australia in Asia’s first Swimrun.
- Capital Works Coming Up
New footpath in Wonthaggi and drainage improvements in San Remo and Inverloch this month.
- Armistice Street Theatre Performances to Recognise the End of World War I
New free street theatre performance to recognise the 100 year anniversary of the signing of the Armistice.
- Extra Rehabilitation Beds for Victorian Youth
New youth residential rehabilitation facility to be established in Gippsland.
- Water Sector Signs Innovative Energy Deal
New energy partnership to minimise greenhouse gas emissions and maintain affordable water bills.
- Project Enters Final Stage
Water Sensitive Urban Design project completion this February for Seagrove Estate in Cowes.
- Footpath and Bus Shelter on the Go
New footpath and bus shelter along Bayview Avenue in Inverloch this January.
- Sale Showgrounds Open and Water Tower Redevelopment Happening
New amenities and recreation building at the Sale Showgrounds is now open.
- Pitch Perfect Start for Cricket Centre of Excellence
New Cricket Centre of Excellence at Ted Summerton Reserve now underway.
- Comment on Arts and Culture
New Strategy replaces the 2015-2019 Arts and Culture Plan
- Gippsland, a Tourism Boom that Keeps Growing
New data showed 2018 as tourism industry's biggest year.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Gippsland’s Leading Food and Fibre Organisations to Amalgamate
New entity supports Gippy food and fibre sectors
- Grantville Gets Information Upgrade
New information shelter works starting 29 March.
- Labor’s Price Hikes have less, not more, Victorians Fishing
Target One Million program just isn’t working.
- Advocating for Two Priority Pools
$60 million wanted for two Aquatics projects: A new pool for Phillip Island and the redevelopment of the Bass Coast Aquatic Centre in Wonthaggi.
- Still Time to Have Say on Off-Leash Areas
Calling for community support for off-leash areas.
- Young Leaders Celebrate Community
Students in the 2019 Bass Coast Young Leader program parcipates in a workshop to celebrate their community.
- Three Bin System Saves 77% of Kerbside Waste from Landfill
Three-bin system in Bass Coast diverted a huge 77 per cent of kerbside waste from landfill.
- Free Text Books for Secondary School Students
Promise of new free textbooks for secondary schoold students if the Nationals get elected.
- Building Upgrades at Wonthaggi Primary School
Important new works for the Wonthaggi Primary School soon!