• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
By Portal Admin - 26th March 2019 - Back to News
Member for Morwell Russell Northe has expressed profound disappointment with the State Government’s plans to force Victorians who live to the east of the City, including Latrobe Valley residents, to fund the building of their West Gate Tunnel project.
"Last week in Parliament, I spoke on the Andrew’s Government West Gate Tunnel Bill 2019 in the Legislative Assembly", Mr. Northe said, "this Bill will pave the way to build a tunnel in Melbourne’s West, and building infrastructure for our road and transport networks is something I support. Whilst I congratulated the Government in progressing positive infrastructure builds, I expressed my disappointment at how hard-working Gippsland people will be slugged with additional costs to pay for it".
"The Bill imposes astronomically high increases in tolls on users of all City Link roads across Melbourne including the Monash and Tullamarine Freeways, bringing about a 4.25% per annum increase for the next ten years", Mr. Northe said. "If you use toll roads on the Monash or Tullamarine Freeways, you will be slugged extra tolls to build the Westgate tunnel even if you never use this road – and that is not fair"!!
"In addition, there are new city access charges for those travelling into the CBD between 7:00am and 9:00pm coming from the Monash and Tullamarine Freeway", Mr. Northe continued, "despite whether these users access the city every day, or perhaps just on the odd occasion for travel or appointments".
Even more unacceptable, is that the requirement to pay tolls on City Link will now extend from 2035 to 2045, meaning these costs will only continue to rise and rise over the next twenty five years for individuals, businesses and households.
"I also used the opportunity to again highlight in Parliament, the plight of Latrobe Valley residents who do not have access to cheaper and reliable public transport into Melbourne, particularly by way of a dedicated rail line like Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo", said Mr. Northe. "Due to our abhorrent train service, we are forced into using the road network to commute to work, access important medical appointments and to get to the airport".
"My constituents already tell me that already the tolls on the roads are prohibitive in many respects, and many families, individuals and sometimes businesses take alternative routes to minimise their costs", said Mr. Northe. "In my view, if it is indeed cost prohibitive, we do not want to see motorists using alternative roads and providing issues in other areas".
"I am not opposed to the construction of new tunnels and roads across our State", Mr. Northe said, "however, common sense should prevail – why should costs to the public explode across Victoria for the next twenty five years, just so the Andrew’s Government can deliver those in West Melbourne a quicker commute to work? How are these charges fair and equitable?"
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.