• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
By Portal Admin - 15th September 2019 - Back to News
The Andrews Labor Government has completed planting of a landmark native timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley.
Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing today visited the plantation of blue gum seedlings near Maryvale and Yallourn North.
VicForests has planted around 250,000 trees at the site which will now be given 12-15 years to mature before being harvested and made into paper. The plantation was announced in April as part of the Labor Government’s record $110 million investment in plantation timber.
More trees will be planted at additional sites next winter, given favourable seasonal conditions.
The Government is backing the timber industry and the jobs it supports with the development of these new plantation sites in Gippsland and around Victoria.
In April, the Government announced an updated allocation order to provide certainty to timber mills and workers across Victoria and ensure supply in the short-term while a sustainable long-term industry pathway is developed.
The allocation order, which reduced the overall area available for timber harvesting by 5,000 hectares, has not affected VicForests’ ability to meet contracts.
Quotes attributable to the Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"It’s wonderful to be here and see tens of thousands of seedlings taking root."
"This plantation, as well as others to be planted next winter, provide security and certainty for the timber industry and timber workers."
"The government’s record $110 million investment in timber looks brilliant up close and we’re continuing to work towards a sustainable, long-term solution for the timber industry that balances job protection with conservation."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- New Island Off-Leash Beaches Introduced
New off-leash beach areas in San Remo, Cape Woolamai, Cowes West and Ventnor will be introduced by 1 December 2019 in time for summer.
- Plantation Estate Decreasing Under Labor
No answer still for questions regarding decision to destroy Victoria’s sustainable timber industry.
- New Technology Boosting Safety in Nar Nar Goon
New technology installed at a high-risk intersection near Nar Nar Goon, for easier and safer turning to the Princes Highway.
- New Playspace for Warragul Worth its Weight in Marbles
Brand new play equipment for students at Warragul North Primary School with Pick My Project initiative.
- New Bills Introduced into Victorian Parliament Last Week
Three new bills introduced into Parliament this week.
- A New Jobs and Volunteering Hub for Gippsland
New job opportunities for Gippsland locals with new job hub.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- A New Chairperson Appointed and Lots More!
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- Work starts on new 36 million litre water storage tank at Wy Yung
Construction of a new 36 million litre water storage tank at East Gippsland Water's Wy Yung water storage facility.
- An Exciting New Era for Morwell Maternal and Child Health Services
Morwell Maternal and Child Health relocation.
- Download your New Bin Collection Calendar Now
2019/20 bin collection calendars are now available for download.
- West Gippsland Healthcare Group Celebrates Completion of New Short Stay Unit and Third Operating Theatre
newly completed Short Stay Unit and third Operating Theatre at West Gippsland Hospital
- Cricket Fans are Padding Up for an Exciting New Innings in Gippsland Cricket
New home for Gippsland cricket at state-of-the-art facility at the Ted Summerton Reserve.
- Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches
Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches come December 1.
- Connecting the New College Campus
Traffic management plan for 2020 being worked on by Bass Coast Shire Council, Wonthaggi Secondary College and the Bass Coast Specialist School.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Getting Ready for Three-Year-Old Kinder in Eastern Victoria
Support for new teachers from the landmark roll-out of funded Three-Year-Old Kinder.
- Government’s Native Timber Argument Falling Down
Local concerns raised following the decision by the State Government to cease the harvesting of native timber by 2030.
- Putting Out the Call for a New Kind of Art
Bass Coast Shire Council calls for expressions of interest for 2019/20 project.
- Mecwacare Announced as New Provider
Mecwacare chosen by both the State and Federal governments as the provider of Aged and Disability Services and Assessment Services for the Bass Coast Shire and will start servicing Bass Coast clients from January 2020.
- Get Fire Ready with Fee-free Green Waste Disposal
Annual fee-free green waste disposal period will be held from Saturday, 2 November until Sunday, 24 November.
- Skate Parks Ready to Ride
New completed skate parks at Cowes, Grantville and Corinella.
- Are You Ready To Get All Revved Up?
Latrobe City’s inaugural motorsport celebration event - Latrobe Motorfest.
- Getting Ready to Play Ball
Near completion of Wonthaggi’s three court, multi-sport stadium.
- Outdoor Pools Ready to Make a Splash
Seasonal outdoor pools at Yallourn North and Moe are ready for another summer.
- Yallourn Golf Club Ready for Gippsland Super 6
Yallourn Golf Club all set for Gippsland Super 6 PGA Tournament.
- Timber industry Plea: Dan, Don’t Destroy Our Jobs
Timber workers were in Melbourne to rally against the Andrews Government's senseless native timber ban and sent a clear message.
- Black Spot Work Ready to Start
Road safety improvement works with Black Spot Program.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Native Timber Ban about Politics, not People
Premier Daniel Andrews couldn’t answer allegations regarding timber ban.
- Getting Eastern Victorian Children Ready for School and Beyond
More than 28,000 children to benefit from a $160 million School Readiness Funding initiative.
- Gippsland Trail Blazes in Motorbike Safety
New pilot project for riders at Neerim State Forest.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- Free Tafe Graduates at Tafe Gippsland Ready for Work
Free TAFE students from TAFE Gippsland have graduated from their courses.