Peter Walsh MP:
Statement on COVID Restrictions for Regional Victoria
Regional Victoria re-entering Stage 3 COVID restrictions this week.
By Portal Admin - 17th August 2020 - Back to News
Regional Victoria is reluctantly re-entering Stage 3 COVID restrictions this week.
Like all Victorians, we have done our bit to stop the spread of coronavirus, to save lives and to protect the future of our country businesses and communities.
We feel utterly let down by the Andrews Labor Government.
Main streets of our country towns will struggle to survive this second round of shutdowns.
Shutdowns that are a direct result of Daniel Andrews’ failure to manage hotel quarantine and contact tracing on massive outbreaks in Melbourne.
Many more country Victorians will lose their job. Many more of our small businesses will be forced to close their doors.
Our cafes, restaurants and pubs in country towns that have not recorded a single case of coronavirus but now face six weeks of shutdowns are questioning why we are wearing the disastrous consequences of the Andrews Labor Government’s mismanagement of this crisis.
Daniel Andrews says every decision is ‘based on the data’.
But while Melbourne and Mitchell Shire have been singled out – based on the data – a blanket shutdown has been imposed for regional Victoria.
There is still time to change this decision before more people are put out of work and small businesses close.
The Andrews Government must urgently review postcode level data to put restrictions in place where they are needed most, while ensuring towns that haven’t recorded positive cases can survive.
Today, despite assurances to our meat sector last week, the Andrews Labor Government still announced strict measures for all abattoirs that will severely limit operations.
After the first abattoir outbreak at Cedar Meats in May, the Premier promised to work with industry to make sure they could safely continue to operate. That work didn’t happen and now industry faces more restrictions.
The next six weeks will be some of the most difficult we have ever faced as country Victorians.
It has never been more important to reach out to family, friends and neighbours, to check in with vulnerable people in your community, to buy local whenever you can and to pull together and embrace the proud community spirit our country towns are famous for.
We are all in this together.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- COVID-19 Restrictions to impact Bass Coast over New Year
No fireworks displays in 2020.
- Statement on Regional Victoria Moving to the Third Step
Towards recovery with the Third Step.
- COVID lockdowns leave Victorian kids' mental health worse than any other state, study finds
Lockdown effects on young Victorian’s mental health.
- New Regional COVID Rules a Mixed Bag
Mixed views on COVID-19 restrictions for Regional Victorians.
- COVID Restriction Inconsistencies Raised
Inconsistencies and confusion with respect to current COVID-19 rules and restrictions.
- COVID Small Steps Forward
Optimism and disappointment with announcement of easing of COVID-19 restrictions.
- COVID Pandemic to Impact Seasonal Workforce
A workable solution must be found before farmers put the for sale sign on the front gate.
- Statement on the 2021 duck season
Hunters loss due to COVID lockdowns.
- Statement on border closure with South Australia
Border closures will have a devastating impact on cross-border communities without a deep understanding of local needs.
- Stay COVIDSafe This Summer
Be mindful of the risk of COVID-19 transmission while enjoying this summer.
- Statement on the NSW Inquiry into Crown Casino
Government to conduct an investigation on a casino licence
- Statement on Victory in the Pacific Day
Victory in the Pacific day – the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II.
- Statement on VLine CEO James Pinder
VLine CEO James Pinder has been suspended today.
- Workforce Restrictions on Lamb Meat Processors are Unworkable
If workforce restrictions on meat processors aren’t relaxed soon in regional areas local farmers will miss out.
- Simple Change to Restrictions will transform Pain Relief for Victorians in Need
Urgent need to reopen community pools to people with a disability for hydrotherapy treatment and water-based pain relief activities.
- Regional Victoria robbed in big borrowing, big debt labor budget
Outspent on city-focused State Budget, delivered little for regional Victorians.
- Regional Victoria must benefit from state budget
2020-21 Victorian State Budget should lay out a plan to restore Victorians’ lives and livelihoods.
- Regional Victoria to Take Third Step
In the Third Step you can form household bubbles.which will allow households across regional Victoria to choose one other household to be in a bubble. You can visit them in their home and they can visit you – with up to a total of five visitors.
- Regional Victoria Moving to the Third Step
Victoria comes out of the second wave.
- Regional Victorians still in a state of uncertainty
Government has not made agreements to make Victoria stable.
- Plan for COVID recovery
Government to adopt a plan for COVID-19 recovery.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Northe Highlights COVID Concerns
Concerns raised relating to the State Government’s COVID-19 Omnibus (Emergency Measures) and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2020.
- Eastern Victorian businesses going digital for Covid normal
Launch of the Victorian Government’s Small Business Digital Adaptation Program.
- Regional Travel Scheme Launched
Regional Travel Voucher Scheme launched with first 40,000 vouchers valued at $200 each available to be redeemed for travel between Saturday, 12 December 2020 and Friday, 22 January 2021.
- Regional Roadmap Goes in Wrong Direction
Concerns for many local businesses with Regional Roadmap.
- Regional Roadmap Going in Wrong Direction
Calls to review the thresholds that apply to the "Last Step" within the reopening roadmap to Regional Victoria.
- Northe Calls for Greater COVID Compassion
Interstate travel exemption process applicable to persons seeking to say goodbye to a loved one or attend a funeral urged.
- Latrobe Regional Gallery - What's on in April 2021
Community’s response to Da Vinci and his machines.
- Council Works with Community towards COVID Recovery
You can still call Council on 1300 367 700 and receive assistance with COVID-19 related matters.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- Victorians Urged to Prepare for Fire Season
Fire Action Week runs until 25 October, a time for households to increase their understanding of local fire risks, prepare their properties and plan how to stay safe.
- Eastern Victoria Clubs Urged to Apply for Sport and Active Recreation Grants
Applications are now open for the latest round of the Victorian Government’s 2020-21 Sporting Club Grants Program.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Separate Roadmap Needed for Regional Victoria
Letter to the editor on a separate roadmap needed for regional Victoria.
- Long-lasting impacts of lockdown on regional Victorians
Our most recent lockdown may have lasted five days, but the impacts will be long-lasting across our regional communities. Is the local government's lack of pandemic preparation making our state suffer?
- Putting the Mental Health of Victorians First in Eastern Victoria
Victorian Budget 2020/21 will include $868.6 million to ensure Victorians have the mental health support.
- Indoor Swimming Lessons and in Limbo
Review of COVID-19 restrictions wanted for impeding the delivery of swimming lessons for children in Regional Victoria.
- Amazing multi-million dollar Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre opens
Opening of a new recreational centre with wide array of health and fitness activities for people across the region. It greatly improve the well-being of community benefits and help economic growth.
- Supporting Eastern Victoria’s Men’s Sheds
Men in Eastern Victoria will continue to have places to connect, build new friendships and share skills.
- Liberal Nationals Release New Plan to get Victorians Back to Work and Back in Business
Victoria needs a bold plan.
- Shocktober Campaign aims to help Save Lives in Regional Victoria
Ambulance Victoria are encouraging communities to learn CPR and how to use an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED), everyday 18 Victorians suffer a cardiac arrest, this can happen to anyone anywhere at any time.
- Northe calls for greater support for regional small businesses
Queries about small businesses that has not been answered by the government.
- Seasonal workers still not expectd in Victoria for two months, industry says
Farmers in need of seasonal workers.
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Low Cases Grounds for Early Mark for Regional Vic
Implement New South Wales restrictions in country areas.
- Truth Masked by Minister on Mandatory Face Coverings for Regional Vic
Regional Victorians need to continue to wear masks.
- Da Vinci exhibition opens at Latrobe Regional Gallery
An event to witness the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, the world’s greatest mind.