• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Getting Eastern Victorian Children Ready for School and Beyond
More than 28,000 children to benefit from a $160 million School Readiness Funding initiative.
By Portal Admin - 30th September 2019 - Back to News
Children in Eastern Victoria are among more than 28,000 across the state set to benefit from programs and additional resources in 2020, thanks to the Andrews Labor Government’s $160 million School Readiness Funding initiative.
Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing today announced all kindergarten services in Eastern Victoria would receive extra funding next year, with 93 services to share in $2,072560.00 of School Readiness Funding.
The funding can be used on programs that will improve children’s language development, social and emotional resilience and support access and inclusion in kindergarten. Kindergarten services will be able to tap into the expertise of speech and occupational therapists, language and literacy professionals and child psychologists.
The Australian-first initiative will be expanded to about 800 kindergartens in 32 local government areas in 2020 – with services in Hume, Greater Shepparton, Mitchell, Moira, Moreland, Murrindindi and Strathbogie to receive School Readiness Funding for the first time.
All kindergartens in the 25 local government areas that received School Readiness Funding this year will continue to benefit from the funding next year.
The Labor Government is investing around $160 million over the next four years to deliver School Readiness Funding in all funded kindergarten programs for three and four-year-old children in both long day care and sessional kindergarten settings.
Kindergartens in the six local government areas where funded three-year-old programs will be rolled out first in 2020, as part of the Labor Government’s landmark reform, will receive School Readiness Funding for both three and four-year-old children.
School Readiness Funding is a permanent part of the kindergarten system that will be available to all Victorian funded kindergarten services by 2021 to address educational disadvantage.
Australian research shows that one in five Victorian children start school developmentally vulnerable and once behind, they tend to stay behind.
The Victorian Budget 2019/20 included almost $1 billion investment in early education, including $881.6 million to start the Labor Government’s landmark roll-out of funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing
"We know the impact that a quality early learning program can have on a child’s future, which is why we’re giving more kindergarten services extra funding to support Victorian children."
"School Readiness Funding will provide kindergarten services in Eastern Victoria access to things that will truly make a difference in their children’s lives."
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Eastern Victorian Schools Complete Premiers’ Reading Challenge
Congratulations to Premiers’ Reading Challenge participants who read more than 4.3 million books.
- Getting Ready for Three-Year-Old Kinder in Eastern Victoria
Support for new teachers from the landmark roll-out of funded Three-Year-Old Kinder.
- Getting Ready to Play Ball
Near completion of Wonthaggi’s three court, multi-sport stadium.
- Getting the Fuzzies for a Good Cause!
"The Fuzzies", from East Gippsland Water raised over $500 over the month of November as part of the annual Movember fundraising effort.
- Tapping into Victorian Craft Produce in Eastern Victoria
Backing up the Eastern Victoria’s small-scale and craft producers with Small-Scale and Craft Program.
- Victorian Liberal Nationals Call to Investigate Lake Buffalo Expansion
Calls to investigate Lake Buffalo in north-east Victoria on its 'no dams' policy.
- Schools to Share in Statewide $515M Maintenance Blitz
61 schools to benefit from $515 million budget for school maintenance.
- Helping More School Kids Stay Safe in the Sun in Rawson
77 schools will share in an almost $1 million School Shade Grants program.
- School Breakfast Clubs Expansion to Help Traralgon Students Thrive
Traralgon (Stockdale Road) Primary School have been invited to participate in the School Breakfast Clubs Expansion Program.
- Equipping Adult Learners in Eastern Victoria with the Skills they Need to Thrive
Ministerial Statement indicated investments targeting courses to reduce adult illiteracy and innumeracy.
- Backing Nurses and Doctors in Eastern Victoria to Do What They Do Best
Massive million dollar investment for nurses and doctors at Latrobe Regional Hospital.
- Walk to School Done for Another Year
Walk to School program has wrapped up for another year.
- Keeping School Leavers Safe in Bass Coast
Young people from across Victoria will make their way to Phillip Island to celebrate the end of Year 12.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- New Bills Introduced into Victorian Parliament Last Week
Three new bills introduced into Parliament this week.
- Get Fire Ready with Fee-free Green Waste Disposal
Annual fee-free green waste disposal period will be held from Saturday, 2 November until Sunday, 24 November.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- Half Price Travel for Carers in Eastern Victoria
Half price weekday travel, free weekend travel and extra concessions from a funding boost.
- Blackouts Predicted for Victorian Summer
Greater risk of power blackouts this summer
- Kicking Goals for Women and Girls in Eastern Victoria
2019-20 Change Our Game Community Activation Grants Program now open for applications.
- Growing Careers for Hard-Working Hospital Workers in Eastern Victoria
New training and skills program now open to non-clinical workers in Victorian health services to help them to grow long and exciting careers in the health sector.
- Outdoor Pools Ready to Make a Splash
Seasonal outdoor pools at Yallourn North and Moe are ready for another summer.
- Extra Mental Health Advice for Victorian Courts
Initiatives for extra support for offenders suffering a mental illness.
- Yallourn Golf Club Ready for Gippsland Super 6
Yallourn Golf Club all set for Gippsland Super 6 PGA Tournament.
- More to Broccoli than Meets the Eye
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Turning Vacant Places to Local Creative Spaces in Eastern Victoria
Projects to develop new creative spaces under Regional Coworking Spaces and Creative Places program.
- Skate Parks Ready to Ride
New completed skate parks at Cowes, Grantville and Corinella.
- Black Spot Work Ready to Start
Road safety improvement works with Black Spot Program.
- Providing Certainty for the Rawson School Bus
Erica to Rawson’s school bus service will continue to operate.
- New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
- Warming up for Walk to School
Get kids walking, riding and scooting to school this October in the annual Walk to School program.