Latrobe Local News:
City takes over management of Morwell Leisure Centre
Latrobe City Council has assumed direct management responsibility for the Morwell Leisure Centre
By Latrobe City Council - 16th July 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Latrobe City Council has assumed direct management responsibility for the Morwell Leisure Centre, following a seven year period of private contract arrangements.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, said that a decision by Council in March this year had resulted in the previous contract arrangements not being renewed, and that the Centre’s future would be more closely aligned with Council’s objectives through direct management.
"Council is continually looking at ways to improve the level of services it provides to the community. Having direct control over the Morwell Leisure Centre provides us with an opportunity to develop our aquatic and leisure centre programs through the coordination of all our leisure centres and outdoor pools," Cr Jenkins said.
"We have already asked officers to investigate ways to increase community access to the Centres and develop means by which we can link our aquatic programs.
"This is another example of how this Council is actively seeking to enhance the delivery of services it provides by being responsive to the needs of the community. Direct management will also allow Council to achieve some financial efficiencies which should allow Council to further promote the use of these facilities and to help guarantee the comfort and safety of all users," Cr Jenkins added.
Cr Jenkins stressed how satisfied Council had been with the transition of previous staff to Latrobe City.
"Council is aware that the previous management and staff of the Centre were greatly admired by users, and that they had earned tremendous respect within the industry. As a result, I am pleased to advise that we have successfully managed to retain the previous management and staffing arrangements and that users will continue to benefit from their knowledge and experience," Cr Jenkins said.
The Morwell Leisure Centre will continue to operate as normal, with operating hours and services remaining the same. The Centre has an eight-lane, 25 metre heated main pool, with beach-entry heated toddler’s pool specifically designed for babies and young children. A fully equipped modern gymnasium, air-conditioned aerobic studio, spa/sauna facilities, a three-court multipurpose sports stadium and fifty seat café offering everything from main meals to tasty snacks.
Enquiries regarding the Morwell Leisure Centre should be directed to Sandra Flack, Morwell Leisure Centre Manager, telephone 5133 9900.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Road Management Plan Adopted
Improved accessibility, safer roads for both vehicles and pedestrians with new road management plan.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
- Morwell Rose Garden Festival Funding
A $100,000 Federal Government funding to expand the Morwell Rose Garden Festival.
- Morwell Makes Room for ‘Her Place’
Celebrating the lives of Victorian women with an exhibition in Morwell.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Upgrades to Morwell Kindergartens’ Play-Based Learning Spaces
First-rate kindergarten with upgrades to Morwell kindergartens.
- Connecting Morwell with High-Speed Broadband
Access to high-speed broadband for Morwell.
- Domestic Wastewater Management
Public Draft of Latrobe City’s Domestic Wastewater Management Plan released.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Location Announced For New Morwell Fire Station
A new fire station in Morwell to boost to emergency services in the Latrobe Valley.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Works on Track for the Traralgon to Morwell Shared Pathway
Continuing works on the Traralgon to Morwell shared pathway.
- Official Opening of Shared Pavilion and Netball Courts at Morwell Recreation Reserve
Morwell Recreation Reserve Precinct Master Plan officially opens
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- Pitch Perfect Start for Cricket Centre of Excellence
New Cricket Centre of Excellence at Ted Summerton Reserve now underway.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.
- Council to Back Call for Newstart Increase
Bass Coast Shire Council supports increase Newstart Allowance payments.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Building Begins On New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access to more kindergarten places in Morwell.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Council Welcomes Location for Phillip Island Community Hospital
Improved access to health services with Phillip Island Community Hospital.
- Council Seeks Community Feedback on Draft 2019/20 Budget
Wanted: Community Feedback for Draft 2019/20 Budget.
- Council Rates Must Be Part of Drought Relief
Call for further steps for drought relief.
- Council Commit Funds to Sound Shell
Additional $150,000 toward the Inverloch Sound Shell project.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.