• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Developing an Aquaculture Industry in Latrobe Valley
Andrews Labor Government partners with a premium barramundi supplier to start aquaculture facility in Latrobe.
By Portal Admin - 7th July 2019 - Back to News
The Andrews Labor Government is partnering with Australian Paper and MainStream Aquaculture to build a world-class aquaculture facility for farming barramundi in the Latrobe Valley.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing today welcome the announcement that the Labor Government will provide $800,000 towards a feasibility study through the Latrobe Valley Authority.
MainStream Aquaculture is a premium barramundi supplier that operates the largest aquaculture facility of its type in the world, exporting into 24 countries across 5 continents.
As part of the feasibility study, Mainstream Aquaculture and Australian Paper will investigate the technical, commercial, social and environmental aspects of the project as well as undertaking preliminary design and engineering, for the Recirculating Aquaculture System plant.
The facility would be located close to Australian Paper’s Maryvale Mill and utilise fresh water supplies. Maryvale has ideal infrastructure capacity to supply water-heating, oxygen generation and water treatment services.
If the study proves the project is viable, construction of the facility in the Latrobe Valley could begin by late 2020. The facility could support up to 500 Victorian jobs in the construction phase, and around 190 ongoing positions when it is operational.
The feasibility study is expected to be finalised by mid-2020.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"This partnership is a great example of looking at innovative ways to maximise use of existing Latrobe Valley infrastructure, helping to attract new industries and employers to the region."
Quotes attributable to Treasurer and Member for Werribee Tim Pallas
"We’re proud to support initiatives that boost industry in the Latrobe Valley, boosting local jobs and backing local businesses."
Quote attributable to MainStream Aquaculture Managing Director, Boris Musa
"We welcome the next steps in our relationship with Australian Paper, who share our values around the development of sustainable and socially responsible enterprise and look forward to making our concept for the largest single site barramundi farm in the world a reality."
Quote attributable to Australian Paper, Chief Operating Officer, Peter Williams
"We are delighted to partner with Mainstream Aquaculture and the Victorian Government through the Latrobe Valley Authority, to explore the feasibility of a world class aquaculture facility close to our Maryvale site."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Timber industry Plea: Dan, Don’t Destroy Our Jobs
Timber workers were in Melbourne to rally against the Andrews Government's senseless native timber ban and sent a clear message.
- Andrews Government Must Broaden Drought Support
More support needed for drought-affected farmers.
- The Metro Centric Andrews Government has once again Shown How Out of Touch They Are
Bushfires: greatest threats to the forest, not the native forest industry.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Innovation Groups for future industry growth in Gippsland
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Daniel Andrews to Sacrifice Communities and Jobs for Greens Votes
Sacrifices to chase Greens Party preferences.
- Labor ‘considering’ Move to Ban Duck Hunting
Labor’s Pascoe Vale MP Lizzie Blandthorn moved to ban duck hunting in Victoria.
- Labor Making VLine Trains Even Slower from December 1
Ballarat commuters will be worst affected with 95 trains to run slower with labor making VLine trains going slower from December 1.
- Labor Votes against Stronger Penalties for Farm Trespass
Bill with new offence of ‘aggravated’ trespass with increased penalties and a mandatory minimum non-parole sentence of six months for anyone found guilty lost 13 to 26.
- Labor Avoids Questions on Squandered Steelvision Grant
No answer with $400,000 grant to Steelvision.
- Northe Shares Concerns Over Timber Industry Shutdown
Massive impact upon local employment and our local economy predicted as timber industry closes.
- Securing the Future for Local Forestry Industry Workers
Actions taken to ensure long-term and sustainable future for Victoria’s forestry industry and for local workers that rely on it.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Government’s Native Timber Argument Falling Down
Local concerns raised following the decision by the State Government to cease the harvesting of native timber by 2030.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- State Government Regulations for Private Pools and Spas
New regulations require council residents who own a private swimming pool or spa to register them with Council by 1 June 2020.