• Add My News • Search Old News
Emma Kealy MP:
Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
By Portal Admin - 12th November 2018 - Back to News
People in the Latrobe Valley seeking help for drug or alcohol addiction will be able to access the help they need, close to home under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
Shadow Minister for Mental Health Emma Kealy was joined by The Nationals candidate for Morwell Sheridan Bond and Liberal candidate for Morwell Dale Harriman today in Traralgon to announce plans to build and fund a residential rehabilitation centre for the Latrobe Valley.
Ms Kealy said the new $7 million, 18 to 20-bed facility will address the critical need for residential rehabilitation services in the Valley.
"When people decide they need to break the cycle of addiction, we need to make sure the supports are there to help them regain their life," Ms Kealy said.
"Waiting lists for residential rehabilitation have blown out in Victoria under Labor, with some people being told they have to wait up to a year, and that’s just not good enough.
"A Liberal Nationals Government will make sure that when people in the Latrobe Valley are struggling and need help for drug and alcohol addiction, residential rehabilitation services will be there for them and their families."
Figures from the Coroner’s Court released earlier this year showed the Valley had the second highest rate of fatal drug overdoses in Regional Victoria.
Ms Bond said there was a clear need for local residential rehabilitation services. "I’ve been working closely with local groups, like LV Family Drug Support, who are determined to see a local residential rehabilitation centre to make sure people seeking help for addiction can get that help locally, close to family and friends, and other people in their support network," Ms Bond said.
"These centres save lives and they change lives – we need one in the Valley and I’m so pleased to be here today delivering it."
Mr Harriman said a residential rehabilitation centre will boost services for local people. "Plans to increase the number of residential rehabilitation beds were axed by the Andrews Government when it was elected in 2014, and that meant communities like those in the Latrobe Valley have missed out," Mr Harriman said.
"A Liberal Nationals Government will make the investment needed for better services for our community."
Victoria currently has about a quarter of the number of residential rehab beds of New South Wales, which has more than 800.
This commitment for the Latrobe Valley is part of a package of new drug and alcohol rehabilitation services for Regional Victoria.
Up to 60 new beds will be delivered across three new residential rehabilitation centres in Regional Victoria under a Liberal Nationals Government – in the Valley, Mildura and Warrnambool.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Liberal Nationals Fight Daniel Andrews’ Timber Ban
No answer for questions on the short-sighted decision to shut down Victoria’s native timber industry.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- Victorian Liberal Nationals Call to Investigate Lake Buffalo Expansion
Calls to investigate Lake Buffalo in north-east Victoria on its 'no dams' policy.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Get Fire Ready with Fee-free Green Waste Disposal
Annual fee-free green waste disposal period will be held from Saturday, 2 November until Sunday, 24 November.
- Get Informed About Grants
Applications are now open for Round One of Bass Coast Shire Council’s 2020 Community Grants Program.
- Cowes to Get Cultural Centre Upgrade
$19 million committed to rebuild the Cowes Cultural and Community Centre.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- More Lifesaving Projects to Get Underway Around Gippsland
Lifesaving road safety infrastructure projects continues next year.
- Boys Get Emotional with The Man Cave
The Man Cave: empower boys to become great men.
- Are You Ready To Get All Revved Up?
Latrobe City’s inaugural motorsport celebration event - Latrobe Motorfest.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Jobs And Funding Cut under Labor’s ‘Plan’ For Regional Development
No funding cut for Regional Development Victoria after current review is finished.
- Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.
- Landslip Under Repair
Repairs on landslip at Glen Alvie Road on the way.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.
- Op-ed, by Leader of The Nationals Peter Walsh – This Year in Review
2019 Year in review.
- Northe calls for VRET Analysis for the Valley
Calls to the Minister for Energy clarify how the Governments Victorian Renewable Energy Target will impact communities.
- Garden Competition
Latrobe City Council’s annual garden competition now open.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.
- Delivering Community Projects for the Valley
Almost $1.9 million in upgrades to community clubs and infrastructure across the region.
- Recreation Projects Get Going
Total of over $2.5 million awarded for recreation projects at last Wednesday’s Council Meeting.
- New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
- Plantation Estate Decreasing Under Labor
No answer still for questions regarding decision to destroy Victoria’s sustainable timber industry.