• Add My News • Search Old News
Emma Kealy MP:
Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
By Portal Admin - 12th November 2018 - Back to News
People in the Latrobe Valley seeking help for drug or alcohol addiction will be able to access the help they need, close to home under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
Shadow Minister for Mental Health Emma Kealy was joined by The Nationals candidate for Morwell Sheridan Bond and Liberal candidate for Morwell Dale Harriman today in Traralgon to announce plans to build and fund a residential rehabilitation centre for the Latrobe Valley.
Ms Kealy said the new $7 million, 18 to 20-bed facility will address the critical need for residential rehabilitation services in the Valley.
"When people decide they need to break the cycle of addiction, we need to make sure the supports are there to help them regain their life," Ms Kealy said.
"Waiting lists for residential rehabilitation have blown out in Victoria under Labor, with some people being told they have to wait up to a year, and that’s just not good enough.
"A Liberal Nationals Government will make sure that when people in the Latrobe Valley are struggling and need help for drug and alcohol addiction, residential rehabilitation services will be there for them and their families."
Figures from the Coroner’s Court released earlier this year showed the Valley had the second highest rate of fatal drug overdoses in Regional Victoria.
Ms Bond said there was a clear need for local residential rehabilitation services. "I’ve been working closely with local groups, like LV Family Drug Support, who are determined to see a local residential rehabilitation centre to make sure people seeking help for addiction can get that help locally, close to family and friends, and other people in their support network," Ms Bond said.
"These centres save lives and they change lives – we need one in the Valley and I’m so pleased to be here today delivering it."
Mr Harriman said a residential rehabilitation centre will boost services for local people. "Plans to increase the number of residential rehabilitation beds were axed by the Andrews Government when it was elected in 2014, and that meant communities like those in the Latrobe Valley have missed out," Mr Harriman said.
"A Liberal Nationals Government will make the investment needed for better services for our community."
Victoria currently has about a quarter of the number of residential rehab beds of New South Wales, which has more than 800.
This commitment for the Latrobe Valley is part of a package of new drug and alcohol rehabilitation services for Regional Victoria.
Up to 60 new beds will be delivered across three new residential rehabilitation centres in Regional Victoria under a Liberal Nationals Government – in the Valley, Mildura and Warrnambool.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Liberal Nationals Improving Food Security for Vulnerable People in Morwell
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to address the growing issue of food insecurity in the Latrobe Valley and Gippsland.
- Liberal Nationals to Boost Language and Literacy for Vulnerable Kids
Elected Liberal Nationals Government will target early language and literacy programs.
- Liberal Nationals will back the Yallourn Yallourn North Football Netball Club
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to ensure a $470,000 upgrade facilities at George Bates Reserve.
- Liberal Nationals’ plan to drive growth in Victorian agriculture
Liberal Nationals Government will grow Victoria’s agriculture and food industries if elected this
- Liberal Nationals Will Finish Duplication of Princes Hwy
Elected Liberal Nationals government to finish the duplication of the Princes Highway between Traralgon and Sale.
- Liberal Nationals to Make Rates Fair for Farmers
Elected Liberal Nationals Government will take actions to make rates fair for farmers.
- Liberal Nationals to Invest in Regional Victoria’s Future Leaders
More support and a funding boost promise if a Liberal Nationals Government is elected at November’s State Election.
- Liberal Nationals Back Scouts and Guides
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to support the rich tradition of Scouts and Guides.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Liberal Nationals backing Churchill Football Netball Club
$1 million state-of-the-art upgrade for Churchill Football Netball Club.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Get Qualified on the Job with Council
Bass Coast Shire Counci, now offering a range of Traineeships and Apprenticeships.
- Get Rid of Green Waste, Fee-Free
Fee-free green waste disposal from 1 November until 16 December 2018.
- Extra Rehabilitation Beds for Victorian Youth
New youth residential rehabilitation facility to be established in Gippsland.
- Country Race Clubs Will Be Winners under Liberal Nationals
Grassroots country racing clubs gets share of industry funding.
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- Farmers’ Market Support Program to return: only under Liberal Nationals
An elected Liberal Nationals Government plans to bring back the Farmers’ Market Support
Program axed by Labor.
- The Nationals Commit To Billion Dollar Road Fix Blitz
Nationals to fix country roads with a $1 billion Road Fix Blitz.
- Country Victoria set for $30 million connectivity boost under the Liberal Nationals
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to invest $30 million to boost mobile connectivity across rural and regional Victoria.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- The Nationals Announce Upper House Teams For Northern Victoria and Eastern Victoria
Two new candidates join existing Upper House members.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- Century Milestone for Community Facility and Event Grants
More than 100 community projects now realised with support from the Latrobe Valley Authority’s Community Facility Fund.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Our Streets Less Safe for Women Under Labor
Data by the Crime Statistics Agency showed Daniel Andrews failed to the streets safer for women.