• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.
By Portal Admin - 30th September 2019 - Back to News
One of Victoria’s most respected alcohol and other drug support agencies has been appointed to run the Andrews Labor Government’s new youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley.
Parliamentary Secretary for Mental Health Harriet Shing today announced the modern 20-bed youth residential rehabilitation facility would be run by specialist agency Uniting Alcohol and Drug Services (through Uniting ReGen) in partnership with Gippsland and East Gippsland Aboriginal Cooperative.
Uniting Alcohol and Drug Services has been operating in Victoria since 1970, helping people of all ages access residential and non-residential treatment services including withdrawal, day programs, counselling, education and family programs.
The new 20 bed facility will help young people to address their alcohol and drug use, while developing skills that will help them to re-enter the community.
Qualified staff will provide 24-hour supervision through a live-in program targeting young people aged 16 to 21, who will engage in activities that support lasting behavioural change including social and life skills development, relapse prevention, individual counselling and group work.
A community drop-in session for locals is being planned later this year in partnership with the Latrobe Health Advocate and the Latrobe Health Assembly. Once details are finalised, residents across Traralgon will be able to come along to the session to see plans and find out more about the facility.
The Labor Government has invested more than $40 million to construct purpose-built residential rehabilitation facilities in regional areas including the Traralgon facility, and adult facilities in Barwon and Hume.
Once all beds are operational, about 900 more Victorians each year will be able to access rehabilitation services.
The Labor Government has made record investments in alcohol and other drugs services with $273.1 million in the 2019-20 Victorian Budget – a 65 per cent increase across the past five State Budgets.
Quotes attributable to Parliamentary Secretary for Mental Health Harriet Shing
"We know the devastating effect alcohol and other drugs can have on young people right across Victoria and especially in the Latrobe Valley.
"Locals across Gippsland have been asking for more help and I’m proud that the we’ve been able to deliver that - this facility will ensure our region’s young people get the treatment they need."
Quotes attributable to Minister for Mentalh Health Martin Foley
"No matter where you live in Victoria, we are working to help more people who are battling addiction get the best care, closer to home and closer to family and friends."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- A New Chairperson Appointed and Lots More!
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Traralgon College Takes Out Award at Wakakirri Finals Night
Traralgon College wins Best Adapted Story Award.
- Traralgon Table Tennis Celebrates 70 Years
Efforts and commitment of those who have served Traralgon Table Tennis Association were recognized as the committee celebrates its 70 years.
- Official Opening of the Traralgon West Sporting Complex First Floor
Traralgon West Sporting Complex officially opened.
- Plans Unveiled for Traralgon School
Traralgon families will get the world-class local school their kids deserve with a massive upgrade for Kosciusko Street Primary School.
- New Technology Boosting Safety in Nar Nar Goon
New technology installed at a high-risk intersection near Nar Nar Goon, for easier and safer turning to the Princes Highway.
- New Playspace for Warragul Worth its Weight in Marbles
Brand new play equipment for students at Warragul North Primary School with Pick My Project initiative.
- New Island Off-Leash Beaches Introduced
New off-leash beach areas in San Remo, Cape Woolamai, Cowes West and Ventnor will be introduced by 1 December 2019 in time for summer.
- New Bills Introduced into Victorian Parliament Last Week
Three new bills introduced into Parliament this week.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- A New Jobs and Volunteering Hub for Gippsland
New job opportunities for Gippsland locals with new job hub.
- School Breakfast Clubs Expansion to Help Traralgon Students Thrive
Traralgon (Stockdale Road) Primary School have been invited to participate in the School Breakfast Clubs Expansion Program.
- Scout Halls Upgraded at Newborough and Traralgon
Scout halls at Newborough and West Traralgon reopens today.
- Upgrading Education for All Traralgon Students
Development of masterplan options to modernise Traralgon College’s senior campus, and rebuild Latrobe Special Developmental School on the Traralgon College Junior Campus site.
- New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- An Exciting New Era for Morwell Maternal and Child Health Services
Morwell Maternal and Child Health relocation.
- Work starts on new 36 million litre water storage tank at Wy Yung
Construction of a new 36 million litre water storage tank at East Gippsland Water's Wy Yung water storage facility.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Mayor’s Event to Benefit Youth
YES Youth Hub Mayoral Benefit at the Wonthaggi Union Community Arts Centre this October.
- Download your New Bin Collection Calendar Now
2019/20 bin collection calendars are now available for download.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- West Gippsland Healthcare Group Celebrates Completion of New Short Stay Unit and Third Operating Theatre
newly completed Short Stay Unit and third Operating Theatre at West Gippsland Hospital
- Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches
Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches come December 1.
- Connecting the New College Campus
Traffic management plan for 2020 being worked on by Bass Coast Shire Council, Wonthaggi Secondary College and the Bass Coast Specialist School.
- Cricket Fans are Padding Up for an Exciting New Innings in Gippsland Cricket
New home for Gippsland cricket at state-of-the-art facility at the Ted Summerton Reserve.