• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
By Portal Admin - 21st October 2018 - Back to News
Member for Morwell Russell Northe has written to the State Government Treasurer and Minister for Resources Tim Pallas, pleading for action regarding the abysmal time that is taken to consider local quarry licensing applications and approvals.
"We have a well-established quarry industry, with many successful organisations and stable employers such as Maryvale Sands, Matthews Quarries, Latrobe Valley Blue Metal and Latrobe Valley Sands", Mr Northe said. "This industry employs over 200 local people, and they could double their operations and their staff overnight, yet ridiculous regulations and lack of Government expertise and support means this is not possible".
These businesses do not have the guarantee of supply of the raw materials they need to grow, due to the complex and lengthy approval processes that the State Government has in place. If the Government doesn’t take this matter seriously then Victoria will eventually have to import material from other States, the cost of materials will rise substantially and jobs will be lost.
"That’s why this week, I have written to the Minister once again urging the Government, to commit to fixing this broken system that threatens local businesses and employers – regardless of what happens in the November election," said Mr Northe.
The Latrobe Valley must be allowed the opportunity to advance and expand, and overcome its recent setbacks and challenges. I am standing with our local businesses, quarry owners and their workforce, who deserve to see their futures secure, and by doing so remove the crippling barriers that are inhibiting genuine progress.
The Latrobe Quarry Licence Policy Initiative
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- Northe Tables Hazelwood Pondage Petition
Northe highlighted massive support by community for the retention of Hazelwood Pondage.
- Northe Calls for Improvements to Tyers School Crossing
Northe calls to enhance pedestrian safety at the Tyers Primary School crossing on Main Road.
- Northe Raises Need for Industry Support and Jobs
Spotlight on LV unemployment.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe Calls for State Government Action on Steelvision
Decisive action needed to address the Steelvision Morwell debacle.
- Northe Puts Spotlight on Improved Local Health Services
Ambitious target to half the Victorian suicide rate by 2025.
- Northe’s Tribute to Local Service Men and Women
Tribute to men and women following ANSAC Day.
- Northe Congratulates Good Friday Appeal Community Leaders
Contributors to Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal acknoweledged.
- Northe Acknowledges Community Leaders
Contributions from community leaders, acknowledged.
- Northe Urges Community to "Speak Up"
Upcoming Tom Curtain "Speak Up" tour
- Northe Calls for Commitment to GCLP
Calls for continued funding for GCLP.
- Minister, Labor’s Regional Cuts Are Nothing to be ‘Proud’ of
Minister was proud in cutting the Regional Growth Fund.
- Planning Minister hits pause on Cape Paterson
Residential development in Cape Paterson North deferred.
- Easter Egg Drive Supporting MNH Foodbank
Russell Northe teams up with Morwell Neighbourhood for Easter egg's donations.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- Farmers’ Market Support Program to return: only under Liberal Nationals
An elected Liberal Nationals Government plans to bring back the Farmers’ Market Support
Program axed by Labor.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Still a Flood of Support for Pondage
Overflow of support to reopen Hazelwood Pondage.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Daniel Andrews Cuts Support to Our Veterans
From $10.5 million to $7.7 million for Veterans.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Aged and Disability Services Continue to Support our Community
Continued aged support through transition.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
A call for support for #BuildingLatrobe.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.