Gippsland Portal Local News:
Latrobe Valley hides out from the cold
Sports events called off, extra clothes piled on, all due to the weatherman.
By Elsa Scopes - 30th May 2000 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have saidThe Latrobe Valley has been blasted by a fierce cold-front in anticipation of Winter.
In temperatures that included a top of seven recently, local districts have been hit by falls of sleet, hail and even minor snow.
Sporting events have been called off by the bitter cold, and others transferred or cut off early. The Tyres soccer team were given hot Milo at half time to warm them up.
"I have taken to wearing three pairs of socks and a scarf inside," one girl was quoted as saying.
The unusual trends are set to continue with Winter starting Thursday and cold conditions expected to worsen.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- On The Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Expression of Interest (EOI) from experienced artists for a contemporary public artwork to be installed in the Bass Valley and Hinterland region.
- Labor Won’t Rule Out Further Cuts to Timber Availability
5000 hectares available for harvesting timber.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- Extra Rehabilitation Beds for Victorian Youth
New youth residential rehabilitation facility to be established in Gippsland.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.