Latrobe Local News:
Simone is Takasago bound
Latrobe City has selected Simone Fenech to be an Assistant English Teacher (AET) at schools in Councilís Sister City of Takasago in Japan
By Latrobe City Council - 27th May 2002 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Latrobe City has selected Simone Fenech, a Deakin University graduate from Traralgon, to be an Assistant English Teacher (AET) at schools in Councilís Sister City of Takasago in Japan.
Simone, 22, the second teacher to travel to Japan under the AET program, is replacing the homeward-bound Janine Edbrooke. Leaving on 30 July, Simone will spend twelve months assisting with the teaching of English in Takasagoís primary and secondary schools.
The AET program was established in 2001 after Latrobe City entered into a Sister City agreement with Takasago City. The program which is open to all Latrobe graduates, is fully funded by Takasago City including, travel, accommodation and wages.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, said the program provides significant opportunities for young university graduates from Latrobe.
"Council believes that this is an excellent program and we are most grateful to our Sister City for making such a unique opportunity and adventure available to our young people," Cr Jenkins said.
"This program is another example of the benefits that can arise from Council establishing relationships outside the region. We are very pleased that the continued growth in our Sister City relationship with Takasago will continue to present opportunities for our own City and citizens. We are certain that Simone will make an excellent ambassador for Latrobe City" Cr Jenkins said.
Simone is very excited at the prospect of her year in Japan and is looking forward to learning the language and immersing herself in the countryís culture.
"Iím thrilled to have been given this opportunity and I am looking forward to the teaching aspect as much as I am to learning about my host city and country," Simone said.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Latrobe Cityís Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- Labor Giving City Projects a Leg Up, but Forcing Country Communities to their Knees
Tangled red and green tape makes it too difficult for people to develop in regional Victoria.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support membersí transition to COVID Normal.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiersí Reading Challenge.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Traralgon Renewable Energy Project Supported by Latrobe City Council
Renewable energy project at Traralgon Neighbourhood Learning House.
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Bush Crew beautifies Latrobe City
Workers found new employment after losing their jobs during the pandemic through beautification of Latrobe City.
- Da Vinci exhibition opens at Latrobe Regional Gallery
An event to witness the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, the worldís greatest mind.
- Aquatic centre access a win for Latrobe Leisure members
Leisure members to have complementary access on GRAC according to membership classification.
- Building & Improving Kindergartens in the Latrobe Valley for the Future
Victoria rolls out funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
- Celebrating Childrenís Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this yearís Childrenís Week celebrations.
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Supporting Our Music Industry in the Latrobe Valley
Survival grants for local live music venues and new grants to protect music jobs on stage.
- Dancers in the Running for National Award
Latrobe City dancers has made the finals of the Australian Dance Awards.
- Nominate a Top Senior
Latrobe City Senior Citizen of the Year award, now open for nominations.
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- Early Works Underway for Car Parks in the Latrobe Valley
Tests underway to determine feasibility of the eight preferred sites in Moe, Morwell and Traralgon.