• Add My News • Search Old News
Peter Walsh MP:
Activists Targeting Farms shouldn’t get ‘Charity’ Tax Benefits
The Liberal Nationals support the Federal Coalition Government’s bid to review Aussie Farms’ charity status and the Andrews Government should also get behind it.
By Portal Admin - 16th February 2019 - Back to News
Victorian Agriculture Minister Jaclyn Symes refused to support farmers this week when asked if the Andrews Government backed the Federal Government’s move to review the charity status of animal activist group Aussie Farms.
Victorian farmers and their families have been left exposed by the mass publication online of personal addresses by the group.
When asked in Parliament this week, Ms Symes would not say if the Andrews Government backed calls for Aussie Farms to be stripped of its charity tax status after the massive privacy breach.
"Victorian farmers want to know the new Minister has their back, but Ms Symes didn’t step up this week and that was very disappointing," Leader of The Nationals and Shadow Minister for Agriculture Peter Walsh said.
"Farmers and farming communities are furious and fearful after their personal details were published online. In many cases, these farms are not just businesses – they are the homes of the families who run them.
"The Liberal Nationals support the Federal Coalition Government’s bid to review Aussie Farms’ charity status and the Andrews Government should also get behind it."
Among other benefits, charity status provides tax concessions to an organisation and also to the people who donate to them.
"Genuine charities, and the volunteers who give up their time to do such important work, are a critical part of our country communities," Mr Walsh said.
"Militant activism that includes trespass on Victorian farms, livestock theft and property damage isn’t charity work – it’s breaking the law.
"Any organisation found to be promoting or financially supporting unlawful actions should face the full force of the law, and they certainly shouldn’t be afforded charity tax benefits."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Get Screened To Reduce the Impact of Cancer in Eastern Victoria Region
Get yourselves and your loved ones screened.
- Get Involved In Wonthaggi’s Future
Get involved in developing a future vision for Apex Park on Murray Street.
- Get Qualified on the Job with Council
Bass Coast Shire Counci, now offering a range of Traineeships and Apprenticeships.
- Get Rid of Green Waste, Fee-Free
Fee-free green waste disposal from 1 November until 16 December 2018.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Labor Forgets Victoria’s Most vulnerable
Government has forgotten the state’s most vulnerable.
- Call to Review Aussie Farms' Charity Status
A charity should be reserved for supporting the work of legitimate charities.
- Activists or Not – Break the Law, Face the Consequences
Motion submitted for parliamentary inquiry to strengthen state’s farm trespass laws and defend farmers’ rights.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- 5,000 Gippsland Residents Get Help at The Orange Door
Safety offered from threat of family violence when you enter the Morwell Orange Door.
- Don’t Be Sidelined – Get Active This April
Registrations for the 11th annual Premier’s Active April campaign now open.
- Federal Advocacy List Gets the Tick
Updated its Advocacy Priority list for the third time.
- No Rates Relief for Farmers, but Doctors and Lawyers Get Drought Aid under Daniel Andrews
Relief for doctors and lawyers, none for farmers.
- Increasing Victoria’s Renewable Energy Target and Boosting Jobs
Benefits in an increase Victoria’s Renewable Energy Target (VRET) to 50 per cent by 2030.
- Liberal Nationals to Boost Language and Literacy for Vulnerable Kids
Elected Liberal Nationals Government will target early language and literacy programs.
- Federal Liberal Nationals delivering for Regional Victoria
Investments for safer country roads, reliable regional rail and better rural health for Regional Victorians.
- Liberal Nationals Improving Food Security for Vulnerable People in Morwell
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to address the growing issue of food insecurity in the Latrobe Valley and Gippsland.
- Liberal Nationals will back the Yallourn Yallourn North Football Netball Club
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to ensure a $470,000 upgrade facilities at George Bates Reserve.
- Liberal Nationals’ plan to drive growth in Victorian agriculture
Liberal Nationals Government will grow Victoria’s agriculture and food industries if elected this
- Liberal Nationals to Invest in Regional Victoria’s Future Leaders
More support and a funding boost promise if a Liberal Nationals Government is elected at November’s State Election.
- Liberal Nationals Will Finish Duplication of Princes Hwy
Elected Liberal Nationals government to finish the duplication of the Princes Highway between Traralgon and Sale.
- Liberal Nationals Back Scouts and Guides
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to support the rich tradition of Scouts and Guides.
- Liberal Nationals to Make Rates Fair for Farmers
Elected Liberal Nationals Government will take actions to make rates fair for farmers.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Liberal Nationals Establish Inquiry to Fix Farm Trespass Laws
Pressure to establish an inquiry into farm trespass laws.
- Liberal Nationals backing Churchill Football Netball Club
$1 million state-of-the-art upgrade for Churchill Football Netball Club.
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- Farmers’ Market Support Program to return: only under Liberal Nationals
An elected Liberal Nationals Government plans to bring back the Farmers’ Market Support
Program axed by Labor.
- Supporting Contract Workers with Long Service Benefits
Commencement of the Portable Long Service Benefits Scheme.
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- The Nationals Commit To Billion Dollar Road Fix Blitz
Nationals to fix country roads with a $1 billion Road Fix Blitz.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- The Nationals Announce Upper House Teams For Northern Victoria and Eastern Victoria
Two new candidates join existing Upper House members.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Country Race Clubs Will Be Winners under Liberal Nationals
Grassroots country racing clubs gets share of industry funding.
- Support for Those Newly Diagnosed with Parkinson’s
Diagnosed with Parkinson’s in the past 5 years? A Parkinson’s Victoria Recently Diagnosed Seminar in Traralgon on Thursday 18 July is designed to help you better understand and manage your condition.
- East Gippsland Water grants
Get Those Applications In for an Environmental Grant
- Funding Boosts Local Sports Clubs in Morwell Electorate
Get active as four local sporting clubs gets funded.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland
We get your week underway with a snapshot of Food & Fibre industry news and activities across Gippsland, helping people and businesses to collaborate, innovate and engage.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Country Victoria set for $30 million connectivity boost under the Liberal Nationals
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to invest $30 million to boost mobile connectivity across rural and regional Victoria.