• Add My News • Search Old News
Peter Walsh MP:
Country Victoria set for $30 million connectivity boost under the Liberal Nationals
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to invest $30 million to boost mobile connectivity across rural and regional Victoria.
By Portal Admin - 11th November 2018 - Back to News
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will invest $30 million to boost mobile connectivity across rural and regional Victoria.
Announcing the commitment today, Leader of The Nationals Peter Walsh said it was critical for farmers, families and other businesses in rural and regional communities that the next Victorian Government makes ongoing investment for telecommunications infrastructure.
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will invest $30 million over four years in telecommunications infrastructure that improves mobile coverage and competition across Victoria.
"There are too many places across our State where communications services aren’t up to scratch and if a Liberal Nationals Government is elected we’re determined to invest and change that," Mr Walsh said.
"In this digital age where the internet, smart phones and technology dominate, it is absolutely critical that families and businesses in rural and regional areas have reliable telephone and internet services.
"Technology has brought us a long way but the Liberal Nationals know what’s needed now is partnership and investments to make sure people in rural and regional areas are getting the same opportunities and services as people who live in our towns and cities."
"Under our program, we’ll prioritise investment in mobile towers that improve coverage in areas prone to bushfire, along transport routes, key agribusiness areas and communities with limited telecommunications access."
Poor mobile connectivity impacts liveability, quality of life and business productivity and profitability in rural and regional Victoria.
Regional Victorians, and notably farmers, rate telecommunications as one of the most pressing public policy problems affecting their lives and businesses.
The Victorian investment program will leverage co-investments from federal and local governments, service providers, businesses and communities.
"We’re listening closely to the issues being raised by stakeholders including the Victorian Farmers Federation and our own local communities," Mr Walsh said.
"We’re determined to get rural and regional Victoria connected and if we are elected, we’ll get the job started with this $30 million investment."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Victorian Liberal Nationals Call to Investigate Lake Buffalo Expansion
Calls to investigate Lake Buffalo in north-east Victoria on its 'no dams' policy.
- Eastern Victorian Schools Complete Premiers’ Reading Challenge
Congratulations to Premiers’ Reading Challenge participants who read more than 4.3 million books.
- Tapping into Victorian Craft Produce in Eastern Victoria
Backing up the Eastern Victoria’s small-scale and craft producers with Small-Scale and Craft Program.
- Getting Eastern Victorian Children Ready for School and Beyond
More than 28,000 children to benefit from a $160 million School Readiness Funding initiative.
- Equipping Adult Learners in Eastern Victoria with the Skills they Need to Thrive
Ministerial Statement indicated investments targeting courses to reduce adult illiteracy and innumeracy.
- Backing Nurses and Doctors in Eastern Victoria to Do What They Do Best
Massive million dollar investment for nurses and doctors at Latrobe Regional Hospital.
- Liberal Nationals Fight Daniel Andrews’ Timber Ban
No answer for questions on the short-sighted decision to shut down Victoria’s native timber industry.
- Work starts on new 36 million litre water storage tank at Wy Yung
Construction of a new 36 million litre water storage tank at East Gippsland Water's Wy Yung water storage facility.
- More Delays for Country Train Passengers at Christmas
Ugly pay dispute with the state’s transport union causes more delays for train.
- Boosting Early Years Facilities for Drouin Families
Andrews Labor Government deliverins universal Three-Year-Old Kinder by building new and upgrading early learning facilities across the state.
- Sustaining our War Legacy in Eastern Victoria
Honouring Victorian veterans and marks 75 years since the end of WWII.
- Swinburne Bachelor of Design student Holly Barbour’s volunteering efforts spread across Victoria and span the Tasman
Swinburne design student, Holly Barbour, who is an avid volunteer in Gippsland (while working, studying and having a social life!).
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- Sporting Clubs in Morwell Electorate Set to Score from Vichealth Funding
Russell Northe congratulating Anthony Bloomfield from the Morwell Eagles Junior Football Club on receiving their Club’s VicHealth grant
- Growing Careers for Hard-Working Hospital Workers in Eastern Victoria
New training and skills program now open to non-clinical workers in Victorian health services to help them to grow long and exciting careers in the health sector.
- Jobs And Funding Cut under Labor’s ‘Plan’ For Regional Development
No funding cut for Regional Development Victoria after current review is finished.
- Half Price Travel for Carers in Eastern Victoria
Half price weekday travel, free weekend travel and extra concessions from a funding boost.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Works Underway on Gippsland Roads
Massive road maintenance blitz is underway across Gippsland for safer, smoother and stronger roads.
- Kicking Goals for Women and Girls in Eastern Victoria
2019-20 Change Our Game Community Activation Grants Program now open for applications.
- Op-ed, by Leader of The Nationals Peter Walsh – This Year in Review
2019 Year in review.
- Record Grants Funding to Protect Local Heritage
$3 million in grants to protect Victoria’s most important cultural landmarks and buildings.
- Getting Ready for Three-Year-Old Kinder in Eastern Victoria
Support for new teachers from the landmark roll-out of funded Three-Year-Old Kinder.
- Turning Vacant Places to Local Creative Spaces in Eastern Victoria
Projects to develop new creative spaces under Regional Coworking Spaces and Creative Places program.
- Wonthaggi Recreation Upgrades Set to Start
Redevelopment of the tennis courts at the Wonthaggi Recreation Reserve set to start.
- Seeking Funding For Recreation Projects
Bass Coast Shire Council will apply for up to $1.7 million in funding from Sport and Recreation Victoria, to complete projects in Wonthaggi and Dalyston, worth a combined $3.885 million.
- Landslip Under Repair
Repairs on landslip at Glen Alvie Road on the way.
- Plantation Estate Decreasing Under Labor
No answer still for questions regarding decision to destroy Victoria’s sustainable timber industry.
- Keeping School Leavers Safe in Bass Coast
Young people from across Victoria will make their way to Phillip Island to celebrate the end of Year 12.
- Jobs Not Safe from Labor’s AgVic Cuts
49 jobs across Agriculture Victoria’s research centres would be cut due to "organisational change."