• Add My News • Search Old News
Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
By Portal Admin - 25th May 2019 - Back to News
The world’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network will go online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May. The comprehensive network combines bushfire ignition detection, flood level monitoring, air quality tracking and 24-hour micro-climate weather monitoring, to provide early notification of fires, floods and air quality issues, such as storm asthma that can impact the lives of residents.
The Latrobe Valley Information Network (www.LVIN.org) also provides 24 hour monitoring of plantations, coal mines and power stations to protect industry resources in the region, a mitigation step to future proof local industry, reducing the possibility of large scale events that impact local timber supplies. Further targeted sites include dam wall safety and landfill monitoring.
Developed and supported by Australian company ‘Attentis’, the patented technology has been implemented as part of the Federal Government’s Smart Cities and Suburbs Program with installation and ongoing support from the Latrobe City Council. The location of sensors was selected by the Municipal Emergency Management Planning Committee, incorporating representation from Victoria Police, Regional Roads Victoria, State Emergency Service, Country Fire Authority, Gippsland Water, Environment Protection Authority, Water Catchment Management Authority and local communities.
75,000 residents of the Latrobe Valley will have free access to the new system to monitor live weather, rainfall and air composition, with access to real-time information and notifications from local agencies and emergency services. Visitors will be able to view live onsite conditions prior to visiting Latrobe City and the various community attractions.
Farmers throughout the region have access to live and historic rainfall, soil moisture, localised micro climate weather conditions and a range of analytical tools and automation options to optimise water consumption and drive productivity.
Allergy sufferers can view live air concentration levels and movement to avoid contact and the impact of airborne pollens and contaminants including smoke from planned burns and the bushfires.
The Federal Government and Attentis invested $1.7 million to construct the network with in-kind support from the Latrobe City Council and several agencies through the MEMP Committee.
"This is the largest environmental monitoring network ever constructed, introducing an Australian technology that is targeted to the needs of the region. The network will demonstrate its capability to engage public interaction and provide a significant resource for industry, local government and emergency services, year round" - Mayor Graeme Middlemiss
"This is a game changer technology and could be very useful for a great number of people" - Mayor Graeme Middlemiss
"This is a world first Australian technology that will provide significant benefits to the region, expanding this network will bring greater benefits to all communities and agencies" – Deputy Mayor Darren Howe
Latrobe Valley Information Network Interactive Homepage
Latrobe City CEO Steve Piasente presenting the Latrobe Valley Information Network to stakeholders from around the region
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe Valley’s Nurses, Doctors and Paramedics Rise to the Challenge
Busy flu season for Latrobe Valley health care providers.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Power Stations
Possible early closure of Latrobe Valley Power Stations
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe City Council Joins Small Business Support Scheme
Latrobe City joins Small Business Friendly Council initiative.
- Latrobe – Gippsland’s Unemployment Rate Continues to Fall
Latrobe-Gippsland's conquering unemployment.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe – Gippsland’s Unemployment Rate at Record Low
We have a record low 3.2% regional unemployment in Latrobe-Gippsland says Australian Bureau of Statistics data.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Latrobe City Draft Cultural Diversity Action Plan 2019 – 2023
Draft to focus to continue to improve services and information that are inclusive of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Designs Released For Latrobe Valley Govhub
Artist impressions of the $30 million GovHub, released.
- New Era Kicks Off for Latrobe Valley Soccer
Newly installed FIFA accredited synthetic pitch at Gippsland Regional Centre.
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Boosting the Valley’s Community Facilities
Eleven projects across the Latrobe Valley gets supported.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Infrastructure Barriers to Latrobe City Investment and Jobs
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Delivering Jobs for The Latrobe Valley
Businesses encouraged to register their interest.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Developing an Aquaculture Industry in Latrobe Valley
Andrews Labor Government partners with a premium barramundi supplier to start aquaculture facility in Latrobe.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Grantville Gets Information Upgrade
New information shelter works starting 29 March.
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Magistrates Proceedings
Flamin Donuts and Not Maccas in the Latrobe Valley Magistrates proceedings this week.
- Local Sporting Club Becomes GovHub Casualty
No club anymore for Latrobe Valley Squash members.
- Domestic Wastewater Management
Public Draft of Latrobe City’s Domestic Wastewater Management Plan released.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- Century Milestone for Community Facility and Event Grants
More than 100 community projects now realised with support from the Latrobe Valley Authority’s Community Facility Fund.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.