• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Parliament Pursuits | 29-31 October 2019
Advocacy for local matters in Parliament pursuits.
By Portal Admin - 2nd December 2019 - Back to News
Last week in Parliament, provided an opportunity to advocate for a number of local matters including:
- In question time, I called upon the Minister for Energy to urgently commence a review of the economic and social impacts of the Governments Victorian Renewable Energy Target (VRET) legislation. Our community deserve to know exactly how this policy will affect our region, including the risk of another early closure of a Power Station, and what steps the Government will take to mitigate the issues that are likely to emanate.
- I brought attention to the State Governments failure to deliver the desperately needed Morwell and Moe Ambulance station, as well as other Ambulance services. These projects had been funded in previous State budgets as far back as 2015/2016, with the Morwell station being promised to be open in 2019 which obviously is not the case. These are terrific commitments don’t get me wrong, but please tell us what is happening with these projects and services?
- On Wednesday the Parliament worked in a manner we wish would happen more regularly, and that is a sensible, passionate and emotional debate around Mental Health which occurred during the Matter of Public Importance debate. I also attended a Mental Health Foundation of Australia event to hear more about the impact of this issue on our community
- I rose to pay my respects to the legacy of Mitch Darragh, who was sadly lost to our community this month
- I also paid tribute to local volunteer Terry Goodwin – congratulations on his recent acceptance into the order of St John and his service to St John Ambulance!
- I was pleased to put on public record, my congratulations to the Traralgon Branch of the Country Women’s Association (CWA) who celebrate their 90th year in December. Wishing all current and former members of the group all the very best as they celebrate this wonderful milestone
- Attended the monthly meeting of the State Parliament of Victoria Lions Club to which I am a proud member
Bills debated were:
- Building Amendment (Cladding Rectification) Bill 2019
The Bill seeks to give additional functions to the Victorian Building Authority in relation to cladding rectification, provide for financial assistance for cladding rectification work, and increase the building permit levy to help fund the cladding.
- State Taxation Acts Further Amendment Bill 2019
This Bill seeks to amend the Duties Act 2000, the Gambling Regulation Act 2003, the Land Tax Act 2005 and the Valuation of Land Act 1960 and for other purposes
- Justice Legislation Amendment (Serious Offenders and Other Matters) Bill 2019
The Bill seeks to make a range of legislative changes relating to the operation of prisons, parole and the post-sentence supervision scheme.
- Justice Legislation Amendment (Criminal Appeals) Bill 2019
The Bill seeks to amend the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005 and the Criminal Procedure Act 2009 in relation to certain appeals and the powers of the Court of Appeal and to make consequential amendments
- Melbourne Strategic Assessment (Environment Mitigation Levy) Bill 2019
This Bill creates a legislative framework for the existing Melbourne Strategic Assessment Program. Established in 2010 under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act (EPBC Act).
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here