• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Discussions in the Parliament.
By Portal Admin - 30th September 2019 - Back to News
Last week in Parliament, provided an opportunity to discuss a number of local matters including:
- I received a briefing on the Gippsland Regional Rail Revival program and the upgrades we can look forward to once the works have been completed, such as; extra off-peak services, a second platform for the Morwell and Traralgon train stations, a new pedestrian footbridge in Traralgon and additional carparks. In doing so, I raised concerns on behalf of Gippsland commuters concerns around ongoing disruptions and replacement services. I duly noted that 60 new carparks promised for Morwell train station more than 2 years ago had still not been built.
- I had discussions with a number of representatives around the future of our local power stations and what impact Government legislation such as the Andrews Government’s 50% renewable energy target by 2030, will have upon our community.
- Attended a meeting with representatives associated with the Latrobe Valley GovHub project for Morwell, where I was happy to hear that the major contractor is prioritising using Gippsland content within the build. I advocated for the use of as many local businesses as possible, and point any interested parties to the Gippsland project opportunities page for details of all the large Government project work opportunities.
- Attending the monthly meeting of the State Parliament of Victoria Lions Club to which I am a proud member.
- Meeting with David Parkin along with a number of other colleagues and staff to discuss men’s mental health and prostate cancer. David has been a wonderful ambassador for men’s health including in his role as the Patron for the Male Bag foundation
- Raising once again my disappointment that the Minister for Regional Development has failed to answer my questions in Parliament on the future of Hazelwood Pondage within the required timeframe.
The Bills debated were:
- Rail Safety Legislation Amendment (National Services Delivery and Related Reforms) Bill 2019
A Bill to implement the transfer of all safety regulatory functions to the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator. You can read my contribution calling for improved services for Gippsland commuters here
- Primary Industries Legislation Amendment Bill 2019
This omnibus Bill seeks to make changes across the Agriculture portfolio in particular meat processing industries
- Marine and Fisheries Legislation Amendment Bill 2019
A Bill to provide for the cancellation and compensation for all 10 Gippsland Lakes Fishery Access Licenses by 1 April 2021. You can read my contribution calling for a fairer compensation for commercial fishing license holders here
- Dangerous Goods Amendment (Penalty Reform) Bill 2019
The Bill seeks to amend the Dangerous Goods Act 1985 to increase the penalties of various offences in that Act so that the penalties better reflect the serious nature of those offences.
- Health Legislation Amendment and Repeal Bill 2019
The Bill seeks to: strengthen existing e-cigarette and tobacco prohibitions, repeal the Access to Medicinal Cannabis Act 2016, and enhance information sharing across the health system for quality and safety purposes
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here