Country Will Be Hardest HitLiability of road authorities for damages incurred by road users may cause problems By Craig Ingram MP - 18th June 2002 - Back to News Country people will be the hardest hit by a decision of the High Court to extent the liability of road authorities for damages incurred by road users, the Member for Gippsland East, Craig Ingram, said today.
The Independent MP was commenting following the High Court decision last year and the release last week of a State Government report titled Road Standards and the Legal Duties of Road Authorities.
"The implications are far reaching for rural communities in particular and cannot be solved by off-the-cuff suggestions that do not address the core of the problem," Mr Ingram said.
"The solutions put forward in the State Government’s discussion paper and by the National Party to reinstate the non-feasance defence for road authorities or have the government dictate standards of road maintenance is only addressing the symptoms of a much greater problem.
"Applying a Band-Aid to protect road authorities, such as rural councils, against litigation for failing to adequately maintain their crumbling road and bridge networks is just covering up the disgraceful cost shifting from State and Federal governments to Local Government.
"If the State Government wants to impose standards on Local Government, they need to pay the costs of achieving those standards
"At the same time, they should explain why, for example, the Dandenong Council pays less than $5 per head of ratepayers’ money on roads, compared with the shires of East Gippsland and Wellington paying around $150 of ratepayers’ money each year.
"The court decision has created enormous problems, particularly for rural municipalities that have large numbers of aging wooden bridges that they have been unable to replace. In future, municipalities may be liable if they fail to regularly inspect bridges to ensure they are safe. This will add a very significant cost for country municipalities and slow down the rate that these structures can be replaced.
"Without urgent action, councils may be required to close these roads and bridges, which is totally unacceptable and potentially dangerous."
Mr Ingram said submissions on the discussion paper were due by July 5, but he had requested this date be extended to allow more time for affected parties to digest the information and prepare a detailed submission.
The discussion paper can be obtained from Mr Ingram’s electorate office in Bairnsdale, or viewed at www.vicroads.vic.gov.au.
Source: www.gippsland.com Published by: news@gippsland.com

Related Articles- Allan Labor government backs regional footy and netball with $1.5M from 2025-26 Country Football and Netball Program
The Allan Labor government is investing $1.5 million in Morwell sports clubs through the Country Football and Netball Program, while opening new grants to upgrade regional facilities and boost community participation. - Stewart Road Bridge reconstruction in Kernot approved, $1.768M federal funding restores vital community infrastructure
Bass Coast Council’s Stewart Road Bridge reconstruction in Kernot approved, receiving $1.768 million federal funding, restoring safe access, supporting local residents, industry, emergency services, with tendering expected early 2026. - Copelands Road $4.9M upgrade complete, enhancing traffic flow, safety, pedestrian access, and bicycle facilities
The $4.9 million Copelands Road upgrade is complete, featuring improved traffic flow, safety, Moe River bridge, drainage works, footpaths, and a shared bicycle path, delivered on time and within budget. - Walhalla Church Hill Road landslip repaired, fully reopened following 2022 storm recovery works completion
Repairs to the Church Hill Road landslip in Walhalla are complete, reopening the road with DRFA-funded realignment, drainage, safety barriers, and asphalt surfacing, ensuring safe travel for residents and tourists. - Have your say on the draft Roadside and Footpath Trading Policy balance road access, submit by 28 September 2025
Baw Baw Shire Council invites feedback on its Draft Roadside and Footpath Trading Policy, aiming to balance vibrant business activity with safe pedestrian access. Consultation runs 29 August - 28 September on Baw Baw Connect. - Darren Chester braces Gippslanders demand for safer roads as funding stalls while initiatives like Cycling Without Age grow
Gippslanders demand urgent road repairs, with Princes Highway neglected for years, while initiatives like Cycling Without Age provide older residents joy, connection, and community engagement across the region. - Baw Baw Shire Council secures funding for four key road safety projects through TAC and federal Blackspot Programs
Baw Baw Shire Council secured TAC and Federal Blackspot funding for four key road safety projects in Warragul and Drouin, targeting high-risk areas with upgrades to improve safety for all road users. - Melina Bath condemns Labor government for recycled road funding spin and failure to deliver real investment
Melina Bath has accused the Allan government of recycling old road funding announcements, labelling them propaganda and demanding genuine investment to address the worsening condition of regional Victoria's neglected roads. - Bass Coast wins National AustStab Award for sustainable road recycling and innovative rehabilitation
Bass Coast Shire Council won the 2025 AustStab Award for Excellence for pioneering road recycling methods, cutting emissions by 85%, truck movements by 80%, and delivering faster, more sustainable, durable roads with less disruption. - Gippsland’s Great Southern Rail Trail passes charming villages, rolling hills, murals, waterfalls, and welcoming country hospitality
The Great Southern Rail Trail stretches 146 km through Gippsland, linking rolling hills, charming villages, art-filled streets, cider tastings, waterfalls, scenic lookouts, and unforgettable cycling and walking experiences. - Darren Chester welcomes Minister Catherine King’s confirmation that the Eastern Beach Road intersection remains a priority
The federal government has increased funding to $6.6 million for the Lakes Entrance road safety upgrade, but Federal MP Darren Chester says state government delays continue to stall the vital project.

|