Gippsland › Latest news › Peter Walsh MP
Advancement of Victoria's Treaty process supported by Liberals and Nationals Party
The Liberals and Nationals Party Room has today supported the advancement of Victoria's Treaty process.
The Treaty Authority and Other Treaty Elements Bill 2022, which will be debated in State Parliament tomorrow,facilitates the establishment of a Treaty Authority, a body that will support future Treaty negotiations between Aboriginal Victorians and the State of Victoria.
The Treaty Authority will support aboriginal Victorians and also make other minor legislative amendments
Closing the gap targets
Shadow Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Peter Walsh said Liberals and Nationals MPs today voted to support the bill when it goes before the Legislative Assembly on Wednesday. "The Liberals and Nationals are committed to advancing the Treaty process in Victoria in a way that supports self-determination and reconciliation while strengthening community and connection to the country," Mr Walsh said.
"We will continue working closely with traditional owners and Registered Aboriginal Parties to ensure this process drives genuine progress towards the Closing the Gap targets, as committed by every Australian state and territory." Mr Walsh said.
Commitment to positive change
Mr Walsh added, "Despite a commitment to positive change, all Australian states - including Victoria - are falling a long way short of reaching the Closing the Gap targets on a whole range of measures. Treaty is deeply personal, meaning that the road to achieving it will be different to all people."
"Moving forward we must continue to ensure this process is delivered in a way that respects, and strives to meet, all the community's ideals and expectations, while contributing positively to reducing disadvantage for Aboriginal Victorians." Mr Walsh concluded.
Pictures from Peter Walsh MP Facebook page.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Victorian Liberals and Nationals consider Yoorrook Justice Commission interim report in regards to advancing the Treaty process
While the Andrews Labor government is engaging in advancing the Treaty and the truth-telling inquiry, they have not clearly articulated how they intend to meet Victoria's other existing commitments.
- Liberals and Nationals to preventing Andrews Labor cruel extermination of Victorian iconic brumbies with focus on rehoming and veterinary intervention
The new plan, announced today, will see a shift in focus to rehoming and veterinary intervention to manage the brumby population, standing in stark contrast to Labor's plan for total eradication.
- Liberals and Nationals move changes for better protections against farm trespass in Victoria
Farmers won't be better protected against illegal and traumatic farm trespass crime unless amendments to on-the-spot fine laws are passed in the Victorian Parliament.
- Supported living units at Mirridong Services in Yarram with $2.32M grant from federal Building Better Regions Fund
Federal Member for Gippsland Darren Chester officially opened two new supported living units at Mirridong Services in Yarram.
- Why Nationals Deputy Leader Steph Ryan stepped down ahead of the coming Victorian election
Deputy Leader of The Nationals for the past eight years Steph Ryan has decided to step down as the Member for Euroa at the coming State Election.
- Nationals alternative roadmap for Victoria and Gippsland to reopen, rebuild and recover out of COVID restrictions delivers certainty and positivity
Victorians are looking for an iron-clad guarantee on the road to reopen, rebuild and recover.
- Victorian Nationals continue to stand with regional Victorians who are committed to action on climate change
The Victorian Nationals continue to stand with regional Victorians who are committed to action on climate change.
- Victorian Nationals plan to boost regional housing by releasing 50,000 new residential land lots
The Nationals opposing the new tax, to help see the rural and regional towns grow and thrive.
- Local artists showcased their musical talents at the all-ages music event supported by Wellington Shire Youth Council and FReeZA crew Propellor
Local artists showcased their musical talents in front of a big crowd at the recent All-Ages Tour, which was organised and hosted by Wellington Shire Youth Council.
- Liberal Nationals support move to deliver hundreds of extra workers for Victoria's under-resourced mental health workforce
Government needs to boost mental health support through simple reforms to get them through the lockdowns.
- Liberal Nationals urging support for simple changes to transform Victorian children mental health
Today, the Victorian government finally backflipped on its opposition to much-needed reforms that will unlock more mental health practitioners to work in Victorian schools.
- Victorian Liberal Nationals announce commitment to deliver largest ever investment in manufacturing
The Liberal Nationals are proposing a $1 billion fund to encourage businesses to bring facilities and jobs back to Victoria, grow local manufacturing and boost innovation economy.
- Activism Against Gender Based Violence campaign supported by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council will be facilitating 'chats' with its employees and the community, throughout the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence campaign, which starts today (25 November).
- Over $4.77M invested by Liberal and Nationals Government for priority Gippsland projects to met local communities needs
Liberal and Nationals Government investing over $4.77 million in South Gippsland to help communities recover from the pandemic.
- Labor Party and Greens block amendments to doubled maximum fine for illegal entry on Victorian farms
Victorian farmers waited two long years for tough new on-the-spot fines to stop farm invasions that threaten their safety and farm biosecurity.
- Victorian National party is committed to spending more in the country as part of coalition government says Tim Bull, East Gippsland MP
Victorians have been denied a fair share of state government funding under Daniel Andrews, on the weekend the Nationals committed to rectifying this, with a commitment to spend 25 percent of all state capital investment in regional areas.
- Advocacy Priority list endorsed and several important grant applications supported by Bass Coast Shire Council
Revised and updated advocacy priorities that will seek funding.
- Proposed community hub for Glenview Park in Traralgon supported by Darren Chester
Gippsland MP Darren Chester is supporting Latrobe City Council's proposal to establish a community hub and purpose built facility for local groups at Glenview Park in Traralgon.
- Former local mayor Brett Tessari announced as Nationals Bass Coast candidate for 2022 Victorian election
Bass Coast local Brett Tessari has been officially announced as The Nationals' candidate for Bass in the 2022 State Election.
- Leongatha roadside rest area gets upgraded via Liberal and Nationals Government's Driver Reviver Site Upgrade Program
Leongatha roadside rest areas will be upgraded to help combat driver fatigue and make local roads safer, thanks to funding under the Liberal and Nationals Government's Driver Reviver Site Upgrade Program.
- Victorian election promise for $600M West Gippsland Healthcare Group upgrade from Liberals and Nationals
Baw Baw Shire Council has welcomed an election promise from the Liberals and Nationals for a $600 million new or upgraded West Gippsland Hospital should they win government.
- Victorian regional infrastructure 2022 election guarantee of 25 percent increase to projects from Liberals and National parties
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy and Leader of The Nationals Peter Walsh have announced today that a Liberals and Nationals government elected in November will implement the nation's first Regional Infrastructure Guarantee.
- Moves to protect Victorian farmers from farm trespass being made by Liberals and Nationals
Amendments to strengthen the consequences for law-breaking activists caught trespassing on Victorian farms will be moved in Victorian Parliament today by the Liberals and Nationals.
- Tinamba Hotel joins 2022 hatted restaurant party alongside Sodafish, Hogget Kitchen and Sardine Dining
That hat looks good on you. All the Gippsland hats from the 2022 Australian Good Food Guide Awards.
Latest NewsFederal Labor government must increase biosecurity to properly protect $80B Australian livestock industry from the highly contagious foot and mouth disease
Steph Ryan will not be seeking re-election at 2022 Victorian election in November
Why Nationals Deputy Leader Steph Ryan stepped down ahead of the coming Victorian election
Cat owners required to keep cats on their property 24-hour a day from 1 July 2023 as part of Domestic Animal Management Plan 2021-25
Comprehensive biosecurity checks of airport travellers arriving from Indonesia by federal government called for by Victorian Liberals and Nationals
Old Methodist Church in Traralgon found to be of local historic significance to Latrobe City by heritage assessment
Young people encouraged to join Gippsland Community Leadership Program via Wayne Casey Youth Scholarship Fund
Bass Coast Shire Council receives Excellence Award in 2022 Australian HR Awards as public sector employer of choice
Community feedback wanted on draft Economic Development Strategy 2022 from East Gippsland Council
Community sponsorship now available for events and ambassadorships in Baw Baw Shire until 8 August 2022