• Add My News • Search Old News
Gippsland Portal Feature:
Latrobe – Gippsland’s Unemployment Rate at Record Low
Latrobe has an employment boom in Gippsland with lowest jobless rate for the Valley since 2015.
We have a record low 3.2% regional unemployment in Latrobe-Gippsland says Australian Bureau of Statistics data.
By Portal Admin - 7th July 2019 - Back to News
Regional unemployment in Latrobe-Gippsland is currently sitting at 3.2 per cent in the three months to May 2019, according to the latest Australian Bureau of Statistics data.
That’s the lowest rate on record – and well below the regional Australian average of 5.3 per cent.
The data also shows the region’s unemployment rate has fallen by 4.9 percentage points over the past year, the largest fall among Victorian regions.
Over the year to May 2019, employment grew by 4.5 per cent.
Since November 2014, employment in the Latrobe-Gippsland region has increased by 8,600 people.
Federal Member for Gippsland Darren Chester
The Federal Government had partnered with local businesses and delivered almost $20 million to the private sector to grow existing enterprises and create new positions.
I’ve been able to secure a record $1 billion for public infrastructure across Gippsland, including $504 million for Gippsland rail upgrades which are yet to commence," Mr Chester said.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
Under the Andrews Labor Government, regional Victoria is benefiting from thousands of new jobs, with the regional unemployment rate the lowest among the states at 4.1 per cent.
This compares to a loss of 8,300 jobs in the region under the previous Coalition Government between 2010-2014.
Since November 2014, Victoria’s regional unemployment rate has fallen by 2.4 percentage points – the largest decrease among the states.
The Labor Government is delivering unprecedented investment into the region through the Gippsland regional rail line upgrade, rebuilding local TAFEs and the establishment of the GovHub and Hi-Tech Precinct in the Latrobe Valley.
"We’ve invested heavily in the Gippsland-Latrobe region to grow jobs and reduce unemployment. We’ll continue to make it easier for local businesses to hire, and to ensure locals have access to training and employment opportunities said Harriet Shing"
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Breaking the Long Term Unemployment Cycle, Export Opportunities and More
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Record Grants Funding to Protect Local Heritage
$3 million in grants to protect Victoria’s most important cultural landmarks and buildings.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Labor’s Appalling Track Record on Vline
Victorians stranded at the station with VLine punctuality dives again.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Have Your Say on Preventing Cruelty to Animals
Be heard on important animal welfare issues.
- Newhaven Skate Park Project to Progress
Bass Coast Shire Council voted to authorise Grayden’s Reserve in Newhaven as the preferred site for the Regional Skate Park and Playspace Project last Wednesday.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.
- Traralgon Table Tennis Celebrates 70 Years
Efforts and commitment of those who have served Traralgon Table Tennis Association were recognized as the committee celebrates its 70 years.