Gippsland › Latest news › Baw Baw Local News
Baw Baw Shire Council meeting snapshot - 22 September 2021
Council meeting minutes and agendas held last 22 September 2021.
To keep our community up to date with key council decisions, outcomes and plans, here is a snapshot summary from Council's Wednesday 22 September ordinary meeting.
The agenda and minutes for each council meeting are being published and it is made up of the reports and attachments prepared by staff that give consideration to items being deliberated by councillors at the meeting
Trafalgar Library Options
In response to the General Business Motion tabled at the council meeting on Wednesday 28 July 2021, council moved an alternate motion. Note the options for establishing a library in Trafalgar.
Project be referred to the mid-year budget process to develop an 'options' report that considers the feasibility of establishing a 24/7 library service in Trafalgar including estimates for detailed design, fit-out and ongoing operations at the "Old" Trafaglar Kindergarten and the Trafalgar Business Centre
- Initial concept design for each site
- Cost/benefit of each location
Baw Baw Shire will look at the feasibility report that will help assess the cost and benefit of each location in establishing a library service at either old kindergarten site or former shire office building.
Drouin Design and Development Overlay Schedule 2
Planning Scheme amendment C143bawb - Post Exhibition, the council moved to:
- Consider all submissions received during the exhibition period
- Change the Amendment in the manner requested by Submissions 1, 2, 3 & 5
- Adopt Amendment C143bawb
- Submit the adopted Amendment C143bawb documentation to the Minister for Planning for approval
- Write to all the submitters to Amendment C143bawb to advise them of Council's decision
Council endorsed licence agreements for markets on council land with:
- The proposed improvements to the process in relation to Markets occupying council land on a regular and ongoing basis
- That any costs or fees are determined under existing council property policies and strategies
There are various types of occupancy on council and in almost every circumstance, an agreement with council is required to legitimately enable the occupation.
Tender Recommendation Report for the Reconstruction of Sutton Street, Warragul
The design of the roundabout is currently being reviewed by Council's Traffic Engineer, and the impact of the proposed roundabout for three other neighbouring properties is being assessed.
- Council approved the tender submitted by Sure Constructions (VIC) Pty Ltd (ABN 93 109 436 400) for Tender 2021009
- Council moved to delegate authority to the CEO to sign contract documents after they have been prepared and execute the award of the contract
Council will manage its property via formal tenancy agreements for the use of council properties by way of lease, license or rental agreements.
Options for improving pedestrian safety at St Ita's Primary School, Drouin
One of the biggest safety risks to students and members of the school community is caused by overtaking cars that go past the cars waiting in the queue. If a student is waiting to cross the road, they do so from between parked cars.
- Council endorsed a submission of an application to regional Roads Victoria for a school crossing in Victoria Street, Drouin.
- Subject to the approval for a school crossing in Victoria Street, Drouin, council will refer consideration of funding for this project to a future annual budget process
- Notify St Ita's Primary School and abutting property owners of Council's decision
Students from nearby Drouin Primary School also cross at Victoria Street, so members of that school community would also benefit from the increase to their safety that a supervised crossing will provide.
Delegation review and update
Council resolved to execute
- Revised S6 Instruction of Delegation, council to members of council staff
- New S18 Instrument of Delegation to members of council staff
- S5 Instrument of Delegation, council to the Chief Executive Officer, noting that this will allow the CEO to sign the S11B
Where an Application for Review is lodged at VCAT for a matter than had been considered by Council, council authorises the Director Planning and Development or delegate is delegated the power to settle VCAT appeals of planning decisions except where:
- Settlement proposal involves approving a proposed development which has been refused by a resolution of Council
- Settlement proposal involves removal or modification of a condition that was specified in the words of an alternate recommendation resolved by Council
The Baw Baw Settlement Management Plan provides a framework for accommodating population growth while preserving the existing character of the municipality.
General business motion
Cr Cook tabled a General Business Motion requesting council write a letter to DELWP acknowledging the planning application of St Paul's Anglican Grammar School in Drouin. Cr Cook moved a Bereavement Motion for Greg Bantock, acknowledging his extensive work within our community as a life member of the CFA. Cr Kostos moved a Bereavement Motion for John Roberts, a former Councillor and first Mayor of the Rural City of Warragul.
In line with COVID-19 restrictions across Victoria, council will be limiting attendance of its council meetings. Continuing with the Wednesday 7 October 2021 council meeting:
- Only essential officers and councillors will attend council meetings
- There will be no public access/gallery attendance at council meetings
Meetings will remain available to the public via live stream, and community submissions can be made in writing. The agenda for the next meeting will be available online the Friday prior to the meeting.
Pictures from Baw Baw Shire Council YouTube channel.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest NewsControlled treated waste water releases into Tambo Bay will resume after school holidays 2022
Darren Chester re-secures $5M funding from previous federal government for major redevelopment of World Sporting Precinct in Bairnsdale
Labor federal government accused of enormous breach of trust in failing to deliver $5.9M promised to bushfire-impacted Sarsfield and Ensay
Victorian Labor and Coalition parties give election promises of extensive funding for both West Gippsland and Wonthaggi hospitals
Warragul Leisure Centre contract for $11M expansion from Victorian government's Changing Places program awarded
Andrews Labor government announces 'Water is Life' to allow traditional owners to access and manage water
Applications open for East Gippsland Youth Ambassador Program for young people aged living, studying or working in shire
Bushfire damaged remains of Thurra River Bridge and yet Andrews Labor government not sending tender out after nearly three years
Committee for Gippsland welcomes state government funding announcement for a new hospital in West Gippsland
East Gippsland Water celebrates Customer Service Week 2022 and giving its best for the community